Restoring from a filegroup backup

• We have a SQL 2005 database which has uninitialized Full Text Catalogs. Because of this the only way to backup the database is to run a filegroup backup, backing up the only filegroup in the database.

Now when I try to use the GUI to run a restore I get the following error, after selecting File restore and selecting the .bak file : "You must select a restore source"

The "select backup sets to restore" pane is empty, so I cannot select anything to restore.

Is it possible to restore purely from a filegroup backup? If not, then as the only type of backup you can perform on a database with uninitialized full text catalogs is a filegroup backup, does this mean that such a database can never be restored from backup?

Ian

• Sorry - I used the wrong terminology. The reason I have to run a filegroup backup is because the full text catalogs are not online, not 'uninitialized'.

• Why can't you run a full backup?

• It might be something as simple as clicking on the actual file group name in the select list.

¤ §unshine ¤

• Yes why not full backups. With SQL 2005, you can backup your Fts too. Try doing a full backup and restoration.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply