Restoring Database

• I have a SQL 7.0 instance running on a Windows 2000 Server. I need to restore a database from a .BAK file on different server.

The first server has drives mapped to the server with the .BAK file on it. However, when I go into the Select Device window and try to browse out to the mapped drives, they do not show up in the list. I tried just typing in the file path to the dump on the other server and this did not work. Does anyone know if there is something that has to be done to allow SQL Server to "see" the mapped drive to the other server? I have not had this problem when doing this on other servers in the past.

Thank you for any insight you might provide!

• I have seen this a few times. What I ended up doing was using the UNC path pointing to the share and it worked. Make sure you create a share containing the dump file. Then, connect to it using \\servername\sharename\dumpfilename

• Thanks for the reply.

I tried using the UNC path, but it still did not work. The backup directory where the dump is located is a shared directory. Any other ideas?

• This may be permission problem. Try to start up your server with a domain admin account.

Robert

• I'm guessing it has to do with your datafiles being located in a different location on the new server. Try running the following script in query analyzer on the new machine changing the areas with the < and > to your actual names.

RESTORE DATABASE <DatabaseName>
    FROM DISK = '<UNC FileName>'
    WITH MOVE '<Data file DeviceName>' To '<Data file DeviceFileName>'
    , MOVE '<Log file DeviceName>' To '<Log file DeviceFileName>'
    , STATS
    , REPLACE

Gary Johnson

Microsoft Natural Language Group

DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

Gary Johnson
    Microsoft Natural Language Group
    DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. The opinions expressed in this post are my own and may not reflect that of my employer.

• the reason for which the Mapped drives won't work is because sharing information is PROFILE related and the account you are using (SQL SERVER) is a SERVICE account so that it has no idea about shares.

* Noel

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply