Restore Time on SQL Server 2016

• Hi,

I have been testing out SQL Server 2016 on some VMs so I took a full backup copy of the prod database which is about 1.9 TB and copied it to the VMs for testing. I noticed that during restore, it was taking a long time, but I let it continue to restore to see how long it'll actually take. It took eight hours to finish.

On my testing server (which is a physical server), restores take a little over two hours.

I'm curious why there's such a huge discrepancy between the two restores...

• Backup and restore times are mostly a function of IO throughput. Do the VMs and the physical server have the same IO capabilities?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank you for the quick response!

The VMs and the physical server are on different SAN groups. This is the breakdown of the volumes...

VMs:

SQL Data: RAID 6 Accelerated (Equallogic SAN with a mixture of SAS SSDs and 10k SAS hard drives)

SQL Log: RAID 6 Accelerated

SQL Archive: RAID 50 (Equallogic SAN with 7.2k SAS hard drives)

SQL Backup: RAID 50

Physical Server:

SQL Data: RAID 10 (Equallogic SAN with 15k SAS hard drives)

SQL Log: RAID 10

SQL Archive: RAID 50 (Equallogic SAN with 7.2k SAS hard drives)

SQL Backup: RAID 50

• Oh, another possible reason could be that the VMs are SQL Server 2016 and the physical server is SQL Server 2008 R2... Prod database is in SQL Server 2008 R2.

• Version probably not much of a difference. Backup and restore are IO-bound operations. Test the kind of IO throughput you get on the VM, compare to the physical server.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Thank you!

Is there an IO testing program you would recommend?

• Not offhand, but you can get a quick and dirty check by copying large files from one say the backup drive to the data drive and see how long it takes on each server

Gail Shaw

• Thank you!

Copying a 2.7 GB file...

VM:

36.7 seconds

Physical Server:

3.4 seconds

Wow!

• Hence the difference in restore times.

Might be worth having a chat with the VM admins and SAN admins, see if they can determine why there' such a difference.

Gail Shaw

• Haha... The VM/SAN admin responsibilities falls under my hat. Oh boy.

• I would also check if you have enabled Instant File Initialization on the restore machine. Without it, your server will zero out every bit of every byte of the entire size of the restored database BEFORE IT STARTS THE ACTUAL RESTORE. I have seen this at clients and on forums so many times I can't count them. 😎

I also recommend you get a professional in to give your systems a health check/performance review.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Thanks!

Yes, I added the SQL Server service account as well as my account to the Perform Volume Maintenance Tasks policy.

• Since the thread is almost three weeks old, you've probably already figured this out on your end, but I figured I'd mention a couple things for thoroughness.

In the initial description of the environment, there were a couple details that make it rather unsurprising that writes are much slower for the VMs.

1) The data and log volumes for the VMs are RAID 6, while the same volumes for the physical machines are RAID 10. The write penalty for RAID 10 is much lower than the write penalty for RAID 6.

2) The hard drives for the VM volumes are 10k, while the hard drives for the physical machine volumes are 15k.

I would expect those two alone to account for a large difference between the environments, all else being equal (and all else might not be equal, for example, the number of disks in each of those pools; the above differences would be compounded if there were more disks backing the physical machines than the VMs).

Cheers!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply