Restore System DBs to Another SQL Instance

• Great info! We're planning an upgrade to our Sql 2005 Enterprise 32bit active / passive cluster to Server 2008 64bit with Sql 2005 Enterprise 64 bit. I don't plan to restore the master database as there shouldn't be much custom stuff in there and it's a pain to do. The few stored procedures will be scripted out and applied on the new server.

Custom code like procs and functions in the user databases will be carried over by re-attaching the databases on the new environment. (all database files are on a Netapp disk device ). I will have to deal with several mount points as our main client database consists of about 20 data files spread out on multiple luns/mount points on the netapp. I wish there was a way of scripting out the mount points

I do plan to restore MSDB as a way of bringing all of my jobs/maintenance plans over -- I've tested this and you just have to stop the sql agent first and make sure the new box has the same patch level as when backed up on the old server.

As far as model/ tempdb I knew our tempdb has ten files but hadn't thought about restoring the old model to the new server as a way of bringing our custom tempdb over. Hopefully that works, rather than having to manually create the new tempdb with multiple files.

• If you are upgrading from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 then don't even thing of restoring MSDB as a way to get your data into SQL 2008, unless you want a shedload of stuff to not work as designed. You will also take yourself outside of Microsoft Support if you have a problem.

The only safe way to deal with MSDB contents across a SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 upgrade is to script out everything you need from SQL 2005 and script it back into SQL 2008.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• We're upgrading but sticking with sql 2005. Server 2008 refers to the OS.

"We're planning an upgrade to our Sql 2005 Enterprise 32bit active / passive cluster to Server 2008 64bit with Sql 2005 Enterprise 64 bit."

• Indianrock (8/19/2010)

Great info!

the info provided is designed to help re create an environment not upgrade it!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Great post Simon. Thank you for sharing this.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply