Restore SQL 2000 System DB to SQL 2005

• Hi,

I would like to restore SQL 2000 System database to the SQL 2005 System database.

I have used Litespeed to backup SQL 2000 system databases and like to restore on to SQL 2005.

Master,MSDB, Model databases.

NOTE: I can restore user databases. I would like to restore System databases.

Cheers,

K R

• Hi

you have 2 ways to do that

U can use the copy database option and give the sql 2005 instance as destination.

If u r completely migrating from sql 200o to sql 2005 , u can detach the databases in sql 2000 and attach the mdf and ldf in files in sql 2005.

• Sorry this is not possible to directly restore any system databases from 2000 to 2005

• steveb. (5/19/2010)

Sorry this is not possible to directly restore any system databases from 2000 to 2005

Yes, We have tried and it failed. Is there a way we can use to restore?

Actually we have upgraded SQL 2000 production server to SQL 2005 and it failed then we uninstalled SQL and install SQL 2005 on same server.

We have got only SQL 2000 System and user database backups.

We have quite a lot of jobs that are in master database and we would like to restore it to SQL 2005 server. We are able to restore system database but it is not working with system databases.

If you know any other way please let me know.

Thanks,

K R

• karunakarch (5/19/2010)[hr

We have quite a lot of jobs that are in master database and we would like to restore it to SQL 2005 server. We are able to restore system database but it is not working with system databases.

Thanks,

K R

The information about Jobs is contained in MSDB, the master database holds the system level information.

The easiest way to move your jobs/alerts across would be to reinstall 2000 and restore the msbd databse and then script your jobs and then apply this script to the 2005 server.

• steveb. (5/19/2010)

karunakarch (5/19/2010)[hr

Thanks,

K R

The information about Jobs is contained in MSDB, the master database holds the system level information.

The easiest way to move your jobs/alerts across would be to reinstall 2000 and restore the msbd databse and then script your jobs and then apply this script to the 2005 server.

Thank you very much. We have rolled back to SQL 2000 at the moment and we are thinking of scripting but wanted to know if there is any other way.

We are going to try this option on Test environment.

Thanks,

K R

• the only way to upgrade your sql 2000 system databases to sql 2005 is to carry out in place upgrade on the instance.

If you want a side by side install, As already mentioned, script out any logins, jobs, etc and apply to the new server

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply