Restore problem. Please help !! It's urgent

• I am getting error while restoring the production database of 50 GB to my development server. SQL server is installed in C drive and data(data and log files) is located in a external hard disk of 320 GB. In my C drive 26 GB of space is free. While restoring this database I am getting this error :

"MODIFY FILE encountered operating system error 112(There is not enough space on the disk.) while attempting to expand the physical file."

Please suggest solution or work around.

Thanks in advnace.

Manish

• Stupid question, but is there enough space on the disk for the files you're trying to put there? It's possible that the restored database will be larger than the backup file.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Location of the database(i.e. portable hard disk) i am restoring has 290 GB free space. SQL sever is installed on C drive which has 25 gb.

• Have you checked that the database is been restored to the large drive and not to C?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Yes I have checked, database is stored in large drive.

• Is 'tempdb' stored on the external drive as well?

• How can i check it ?And if not then how can make tempdb to get stored in external drive

• Check in the properties of the DB through M.S.

• Are you doing the restore using Enterprise Manager or T-SQL in Query Analyser? If you are using EM can you run Profiler when you are doung the restore and post the T-SQL generated by EM? If using QA please post your T-SQL restore statement.

• I am using the query mentioned below:

RESTORE DATABASE [VIPA_APP] FROM DISK = N'D:\ASE-Downloads\VIPA\VIPA_APP' WITH FILE =

1, REPLACE,

STATS = 10

GO

• Does the database VIPA_APP already exist on the destination server? If so, please run the following and post the results

exec sp_helpdb 'VIPA_APP'

Gail Shaw

• You probably need to use the MOVE clause to put the database on the external drive.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply