Restore master error

• I put SQL in single user mode, opened another cmd prompt with e:\mssql7\backup

isql -U sa

typed in pwd

Here is the result set: Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist (error 53).

Any takers on this one???

• Did you close the session that you used to change the database to single user mode?  If you didn't, it's using the one allowed connection.

Greg

Greg

• Also ... did you already restore the master database ? If you have this 'auto-magically' shuts down the database server.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Checked DNS entries for my server and the IP address checks out accordingly. After I put SQL in single user mode (via cmd prompt),I disconnected and then tried to restore the master via another command prompt. As soon as I type in isql -U sa and then the password, I still get the same results (DB-Library: Unable to connect:SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist.

• OK, got it figured out. My server name was different than the database server name, thus I used the following cmd and it worked:mssql7\backup isql -S sqltestv -U sa

Thanks for the replies.

Lisa

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply