Restore Gene : Automating SQL Server Database Restores

• I am getting the below error when trying to execute the Posh

Set-Location : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'DBName'.

I am using below script on PS v2.0

Automate\TEST\Restore\ps_RestoreGene.ps1 `

-DBName = "BaselineData" `

-PrimaryServer = "ABC" `

-StandbyServer = "DEF" `

-FromFileFullUNC = "\\ABC\Prod_Backups\ABC\BaselineData\FULL\" `

-WithMoveDataFiles = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA" `

-WithMoveDataFiles = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA" `

-RestoreLog = "C:\Automate\Log_PBV001_PBV002_workspace.xml" `

-WithReplace = "1" `

-StandBy = "1" `

-Log_Reference = "PoSh Restore TEST"

• Withmovedatafiles appears twice, also needs to terminate with '\'

Regards

• Sorry my bad, i copied it wrong, made the modifications, replaced withmovedatafiles to withmoveLogfiles and ended with \ for the path but still same error:

Set-Location : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'DBName'.

At line:2 char:1

+ -DBName = "BaselineData" `

+ ~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Set-Location], ParameterBindingException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SetLocationCommand

• Could you try version 4 (the latest) https://paulbrewer.wordpress.com/ps_restoregene/

Thanks

• hey paul,

Thanks for the replies, yes i am using the latest version but still same error. May be i am not that good or doing something wrong with Powershell.

Is there any doc on how to run this,

I just went to PS and executed below , but no luck

PS C:\> cd \Automate\TEST\Restore\ps_RestoreGene.ps1 `

>> -DBName "BaselineData" `

>> -PrimaryServer "ABC" `

>> -StandbyServer "DEF" `

>> -FromFileFullUNC "\\ABC\Prod_Backups\ABC\BaselineData\FULL\" `

>> -WithMoveDataFiles "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\" `

>> -WithMoveLogFiles "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\" `

>> -RestoreLog "C:\Automate\Log_PBV001_PBV002_workspace.xml" `

>> -WithReplace "1" `

>> -StandBy "1" `

>> -Log_Reference "PoSh Restore TEST"

Also, i am running this from secondary and have executed sp_restoregene on primary server

• Hi,

There is some documentation here - https://paulbrewer.wordpress.com/2014/08/15/restore-gene-version-3-free-public-framework-technical-article/

Which version of powershell are you using?

Thanks

• Thanks for the doc, its V2.0

• Hi Paul,

Any idea what could be going wrong here, Will it not work for V 2.0 PS?

• It should do, I'm not sure to be honest and need to retest. The most recent version was developed on Windows server 2012, PS V3. The error might be a parameter name changing in a cmdlet. I won't get a chance to look at it before the weekend though, sorry

• Hey, Paul i was able to figure out what went wrong and ran the script, but after its run no restore happen with below message:

database on primary is in Simple recovery model, but i believe full backup should have at least been restored?

RestoreGene Batch Execution Starting

-----------------------------------------

Executing SQL Command - + EXEC dbo.sp_RestoreGene @LogShippingVariableDeclare = 0, @Database = 'BaselineData',@Log_Refe

rence = 'PoSh Restore TEST', @TargetDatabase = 'BaselineData',@WithMoveDataFiles = 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Serve

r\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\', @WithMoveLogFile = 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQLDATA\', @FromFileFullUNC = '\\XXX\Prod_Backups\CXP\BaselineData\FULL\', @FromFileDiffUNC = '\\XXX\Prod_Backups\CXP\BaselineData\FULL\', @FromFileLogUNC= '\\XXX\Prod_Backups\CXP\BaselineData\FU

LL\', @StopAt = '2016-01-08T08:48:57', @StandbyMode = '1', @WithReplace = '1' , @WithRecovery = '0', @WithCHECKDB = '0'

-----------------------------------------

No new log file backups

Strange because after this i dont see anything being executed: (XXX is primary server and its backup folder is shared)

• That's good news, pleased you got to the bottom of it. I'll add an error trap to the posh script on the next release. To be honest it wasn't a scenario I anticipated.

Best wishes

Paul

• But Paul,

Actually it ran but its not restoring, it just shows me the above posted message and no restore happens.

What Am i missing now, even i put the database to full recovery model still no luck

• After putting the database in full recovery, did you take a full and a log backup?

• Yup, that was the first thing i did..

Just curious, for very first run i provided the parameter -LogShippingInitialize "1" as "0"..

Could that be a problem, do i need to first initialze and then can later make it 0?

• Adding ----- For server XXX primary it displays below info followed by the message i posted:

Name : LogData

LocalName : LogData

NamespaceURI :

Prefix :

NodeType : Element

ParentNode : #document

OwnerDocument : #document

IsEmpty : True

Attributes : {}

HasAttributes : False

SchemaInfo : System.Xml.XmlName

InnerXml :

InnerText :

NextSibling :

PreviousSibling :

Value :

ChildNodes : {}

FirstChild :

LastChild :

HasChildNodes : False

IsReadOnly : False

OuterXml : <LogData />

BaseURI :

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply