Restore from network backups?

• I'm trying to restore a bunch of databases to create a test environment. It appears that SQL (2k) will not allow restoring from a backup file on a network drive - can someone confirm that this is the case? If it is, why would MS have decided on this? If a DBA is willing to accept the network traffic, performance hit & the possibility of a network error breaking the restore, what harm would this do? TIA!

• We restore across the network all the time.

RESTORE DATABASE x

FROM DISK = '\\server\sharename'

WITH REPLACE

Works great. Well, assuming the network is working correctly, hops across domains cause it to run very slowly (usually just copy the file locally or to another server on the second domain then). You know, stuff like that.

Maybe I'm confused about the question.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Strange, that's exactly what I've tried. I get "Device not available" or whatever error happens when the file's not ther. The same file copied locally restores fine. Shot in the dark - is it maybe a Standard-vs.-Enterprise issue? We're running Standard. I dunno...

• Sounds like a permissions issue. Backups don't run under your security context, but under that of SQL Server. Make sure that SQL Server is running as a network login instead of local admin and that the login has permission to that network share and you should be good to go.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Looks like that was it - thank you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply