Restore DB Taking too long

• Hi,

I have to restore a DB from a full backup. whenever i try to do this its taking forever for me to restore.

the DB is about 70GB.

the existing  .MDF and .LDF files were deleted for that particular DB.

Can anyone let me know why this might be happening?

Thanks!

Sathya.

• how long is forever and what is your backup infrastructure like? in my case a 70GB db restore will take 4-6 hours or as long as 12-16 hours.

• The DB is on SQL server 2000. when the Actual DB was available it used to take about 1 HOUR

to restore the full backup. will it be 12 hours before i can get my DB back?

• Restores when the files are not already there can take a long time as the files need to be initizalized first, if on Windows 2000.  On 2003 (and XP) you can use instant init which speeds up restores significantly.

Check out Kimberly Tripps write up on it

http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/kimberly/2007/03/04/InstantInitializationWhatWhyAndHow.aspx

• You can try to turn off the virusscanner (if it's running). A virusscanner can slow down an restore.

• Also if you are using a native disk restore, and the backup file and the database files are the same disk then the restore time iwll increase.

Gethyn Elliswww.gethynellis.com

• First I would look at the time it took for a backup of that database to occur. Based on your database size, 70 Gb, I would add 10% to the time it took a backup to occur as the time needed for a restore.

Next I would ask where does your backup file reside. Is it on SAN/NAS disk ? Is it on local disk(s) or local disk arrays ? Is it coming directoy from tape ? Is it on a network drive ? Based on where the backup file resides your restore time can be impacted significantly.

I have found that when the database disks are on a SAN and the backup files are on a SAN or NAS one can expect throughtput slightly in excess of 1 Gb/Minute. If the databases and backup files are on local disk(s) or local disk array(s) the times can be significantly more. Tape and network restores can take even longer too !

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Thank you all for the help.

My problem is solved. Had it not been for you guys i would have been stuck.

I had the .BAK file on a network Drive. i moved it to a SAN and it took about an hour or so to get the database back.

Thanks again.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply