Restore DB - LOG file

• I'm trying to restore the DB which was taken from Production environment and it requires more than 8GB. After restoring DB found that LOG file alone occupies more that 4GB. Is log file required when restoring DB into new environment? If not, can we restore DB without restoring LOG file?

Backup file size (.BAK): 4.10 GB

After restoring .MDF file size: 4.10 GB

After restoring .LDF file size: 8.82 GB

As said in above metrics, LOG file along it takes near 9GB...this needs to be avoided..

Please let me know what can I do?

Thanks.

Whizkid

• The log file is not something like an errorlog that you can get rid of. Logfile is a part of the database.

You can probably restore the database and truncate the log and shrink the log file. (but be careful, truncating log will effect in not being able to restore to point in time and shrink is generally not a good practice)

• whizkidgps (8/30/2012)

... can we restore DB without restoring LOG file?

No. DB cannot be restored without LOG file.

Restored database would be just like the backedup DB. You can only move the files to different drive or path.

• Do you want me to truncate the LOG file after restoring DB into new environment? or Can we take the DB backup after truncating LOG file from Source DB server?

• If I were you, I would never truncate transaction log on a production database.

What are you trying to achieve by removing the extra 4 GB? space issues? Can you not take a backup and compress it with 7zip (if you dont use native compression), move the file to the other server, restore and then truncate log?

• Yes, Space issues..I've moved the .BAK file to other server after compressing as ZIP file. Please find below metrics

Backup file size (.BAK) : 4.10 GB (after unzip)

After restoring .MDF file size: 4.10 GB

After restoring .LDF file size: 8.82 GB

As said in above metrics, LOG file along it takes near 9GB and total DB size is near 13 GB.

Can't we do anything for using optimized space?

• The Log file is basically maintaining the logs of transactions and it must be included as it helps to view the previous level, but you can truncate it if you have no further use.

Also as you are restoring it at another place so there is no need to truncate the log files of the production

Thanks,

Sumit

• whizkidgps (8/30/2012)

Do you want me to truncate the LOG file after restoring DB into new environment?

Yes.

or Can we take the DB backup after truncating LOG file from Source DB server?

No.

Your TLog file is bigger than data file. Looks like you are not taking tlog backup regularly.

• If I truncate the LOG file, will it cause delete data from any of the table? What would be the problem if I truncate the LOG file?

• whizkidgps (8/30/2012)

If I truncate the LOG file, will it cause delete data from any of the table?

No

What would be the problem if I truncate the LOG file?

If you shrink it once off, nothing.

If you truncate it (which does not mean shrink for a log file) you could be messing up your backup strategy.

Please read through this - Managing Transaction Logs[/url]

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • How would I do the truncate of log whole file?

• You're not trying to truncate it, you're trying to shrink it. Huge difference.

Read up on DBCC ShrinkFile, you want to shrink the log only and shrink it to a reasonable size, NOT 0. With a data file of 4GB, guess would be about 3GB for the log would be reasonable.

p.s. Please read that article...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply