Restore DB

• I want to restore a db in another server as part of the migration

db files size .mdf 367MB, .ldf 194MB, backup size 323MB.

DB size 547MB, Space avialable 50 MB

If I restore the db, the .LDF size will remain 194MB? or do i need to shrink it before taking backup?

• yes, After restoring the LDF file would be 194 MB on the new server and I would leave it as it is, since it is not so huge in size. Either way, your backup is going to be roughly the same size as it is currently..

It would be not a good decision to shrink the log file on the primary server, since it would have to again to that size in future and when performing autogrow, system performance is hit and should be avoided as much as possible..

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• laddu4700 (2/8/2010)

or do i need to shrink it before taking backup?

No point in shrinking it up. As advised just restore it normally, if the file has to grow it will grow.

• Ok.

data file and log file are in same drive. Once I move the db to another server, is it okay to put both files in same drive or log file in another drive (ldf size is only 194 MB)

• laddu4700 (2/10/2010)

Ok.

data file and log file are in same drive. Once I move the db to another server, is it okay to put both files in same drive or log file in another drive (ldf size is only 194 MB)

SQL Server best practice is to place the data and the log files in separate disk drives..

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Thanks!

May I know the reason for this?

• It incresase performance at disk level

EnjoY!
  • You increase performance by utilising the extra physical disks which reduces disks seeks and head movements.

Ideally you should keep the log on a seperate physical disks with Mirroring and look at a faster RAID level for your data files i.e. RAID1+0 or RAID5, the latter performs better with more physical disks as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply