Restore database to another database

• I just received a request from a user. They want to restore a database from yesterdays backup to a alternate database on the same server.

They need to go into the restored backup and look for some modified data that was not properly inserted.

Is it possible for me to take a backup of the database in question from two nights ago, and restore it to a new database (created just for this request) on the same server?

My original thinking was to create a new DB on the server and restore the backup from the other night into this DB. Before I do this, wanted to see if there were any caveats with this.

This is on SQL Server 2005.

Appreciate the help.

Jason

• Yes this is possible. You can either create the new database first or create it during the restore operation...

Make note of a few things...

Be very careful to restore to the correct(new) database.

Be very, very careful you change the .mdf and .ldf filenames/locations Either via the Gui or using the WITH MOVE command so that you don't over write those of the existing db.

Of course the other caveat is to make sure you have enough disk space for the new database.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Luke L (10/8/2008)

Yes this is possible. You can either create the new database first or create it during the restore operation...

Make note of a few things...

Be very careful to restore to the correct(new) database.

Be very, very careful you change the .mdf and .ldf filenames/locations Either via the Gui or using the WITH MOVE command so that you don't over write those of the existing db.

Of course the other caveat is to make sure you have enough disk space for the new database.

Thanks...i'll give it a shot.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply