Restore Database Bogs Down Server

• dajonx (12/22/2010)

Oh wow, that DBA bunch price is very good compared to just LiteSpeed's license. I'm completely drooling over the virtual restore (since I'm wishing that I have that right now...). Thanks for recommending me. I'll have to try out their tools.

I agree, Red Gate's tools are fantastic. But, be aware, Virtual Restore is only marginally faster than a regular restore because the process of validating the data that SQL Server goes through is still the same. It does sound like you'd really benefit from data compression though.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Oh, ok! Thanks for the info!

I'm doing some research on what exactly BACKUPTHREAD and BACKUPIO exactly means and I've read that it doesn't exactly mean that it relates to an I/O bottleneck. And, why does "Backup" come up when I'm restoring?

• dajonx (12/22/2010)

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any resolution to this problem that I'm having. I currently have 64-bit SQL Server 2005 SP2 on my backup server and I am doing a restore database of (10) 600 GB backup files. The estimated time that sys.dm_exec_requests says that the database will complete restoring is 58 hours. Also, the server becomes extremely slow. The CPU usage is very low and there are no other users using this server.

The way I moved the backup files was by external hard drive. I just attached the external hard drive to the server. However, I had to reboot the server because the disk manager service wouldn't load (or restart). We then thought that moving the files to the local drives would help the restore database process since the files were on the external, but that did not help at all.

Does anyone happen to have encountered this problem and have a solution to this?

Any help is appreciated.

sounds like you used a USB drive

NIC's will run at 100Mbps or 1000Mbps

newer USB drives will run at 480Mbps max if it's a USB2 drive and the server has USB2 ports

old USB drives take a lot longer

• Yes, I did, but I moved the backup files from the USB external hard drive onto local disk to remove one variable in the restoring database process.

The restore is still going on... Should be done in about another day or so.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply