Reserved word as field name in Format file in bcp.

• I am importing a very large data into a table using bcp command.One of the column in the table is a reserved word, I am

getting this error

Starting copy...

SQLState = 37000, NativeError = 156 Error = [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'Plan'

How can I handle the reserve word while importing data into a table?

I have attached an example.

• You might try the '-q' parameter so that quoted identifiers are used.

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• Hi Bhuvnesh, can you show me for the attached example how to use the

'-q' parameter in bcp for the column names.

• Thanks Bhuvnesh I got it

• Ashwin M N (3/29/2010)

Thanks Bhuvnesh I got it

Got what? Two way street here... what "got it"? What was the fix?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I used [] for column names in the format file and in the bcp command prompt I added -q.

bcp AdventureWorks.HumanResources.myTeam in input.dat -U username -S servername -t , -f myTeam.Fmt -q

It is working fine.

But I have another problem in another table The column is of bit datatype not null default(0) how should I handle this.

• Always try to post exact error to get faster response :-).also post BCP query

I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• Ashwin M N (3/29/2010)

But I have another problem in another table The column is of bit datatype not null default(0) how should I handle this.

Instead of using -n (native) datatype (data-format switch), try using -c (character).this might help you.

• I tried using -c

bcp AdventureWorks.HumanResources.myTeam in input.dat -U username -S servername -t , -f myTeam.Fmt -c

It gave the message that -f overwrites the -c

• NO idea about that message

This link might help you http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.help.ase_15.0.utility/html/utility/utility73.htm

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply