Reporting Services Migration Problems

• Here are some errors when clicking the Web Service URL Link. As far as i can tell, the 2 different servers are on the same versions of SQL, SQL 2016, SP1, CU4
    Both ReportServer databases are in SQL 2008 compatibility mode.

===================================
    SQL Server Reporting Services

• An error occurred within the report server database. This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database. (rsReportServerDatabaseError) Get Online Help

• Cannot convert to text/ntext or collate to '???.???........???.???.???.??ë.???.???....??ë.???.......' because these legacy LOB types do not support the Unicode supplementary characters whose codepoints are U+10000 or greater. Use types varchar(max), nvarchar(max), or a collation which does not have the _SC flag. Cannot convert to text/ntext or collate to '???.???........???.???.???.??ë.???.???....??ë.???.......' because these legacy LOB types do not support the Unicode supplementary characters whose codepoints are U+10000 or greater. Use types varchar(max), nvarchar(max), or a collation which does not have the _SC flag. Cannot convert to text/ntext or collate to '???.???........???.???.???.??ë.???.???....??ë.???.......' because these legacy LOB types do not support the Unicode supplementary characters whose codepoints are U+10000 or greater. Use types varchar(max), nvarchar(max), or a collation which does not have the _SC flag. Cannot convert to text/ntext or collate to '???.???........???.???.???.??ë.???.???....??ë.???.......' because these legacy LOB types do not support the Unicode supplementary characters whose codepoints are U+10000 or greater. Use types varchar(max), nvarchar(max), or a collation which does not have the _SC flag. Could not use view or function 'ExtendedCatalog' because of binding errors.

• And

============
    <Header>
    <Product>Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services Version 13.0.4446.0</Product>
    <Locale>en-US</Locale>
    <TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time</TimeZone>
    <Path>C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS13.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\LogFiles\Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost_02_12_2019_11_29_36.log</Path>
    <SystemName>DB08</SystemName>
    <OSName>Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0</OSName>
    <OSVersion>6.2.9200.0</OSVersion>
    </Header>
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!library!13!02/12/2019-11:29:36:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: , An error occurred within the report server database. This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database.;
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!reportserverwebapp!13!02/12/2019-11:29:36:: e ERROR: [5eszhfds]: OData exception occurred: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: An error occurred within the report server database. This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot convert to text/ntext or collate to '???.???........?*?.???.?*?.??ì.?*?.?*?....??ì.?*?.......' because these legacy LOB types do not support the Unicode supplementary characters whose codepoints are U+10000 or greater. Use types varchar(max), nvarchar(max), or a collation which does not have the _SC flag.
    Cannot convert to text/ntext or collate to '???.???........?*?.???.?*?.??ì.?*?.?*?....??ì.?*?.......' because these legacy LOB types do not support the Unicode supplementary characters whose codepoints are U+10000 or greater. Use types varchar(max), nvarchar(max), or a collation which does not have the _SC flag.
    Cannot convert to text/ntext or collate to '???.???........?*?.???.?*?.??ì.?*?.?*?....??ì.?*?.......' because these legacy LOB types do not support the Unicode supplementary characters whose codepoints are U+10000 or greater. Use types varchar(max), nvarchar(max), or a collation which does not have the _SC flag.
    Could not use view or function 'ExtendedCatalog' because of binding errors..
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!reportserverwebapp!12!02/12/2019-11:29:36:: i INFO: [5eszhfds]: fe80::4f1:85ab:2f5a:1483%4: GET /api/v1.0/SystemResources - Response 500 - 0:00:00.2434793
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!reportserverwebapp!2b!02/12/2019-11:29:36:: i INFO: [6rj6wr4m]: fe80::4f1:85ab:2f5a:1483%4: GET /api/v1.0/ServiceState - Response 200 - 0:00:00.2659648
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!reportserverwebapp!a!02/12/2019-11:29:36:: i INFO: [2r79t10d]: fe80::4f1:85ab:2f5a:1483%4: GET /api/v1.0/powerbiintegration/powerbiintegration.isenabled - Response 200 - 0:00:00.0015
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!library!29!02/12/2019-11:29:36:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: , An error occurred within the report server database. This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database.;
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!reportserverwebapp!29!02/12/2019-11:29:36:: e ERROR: [gp0mdrqy]: OData exception occurred: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: An error occurred within the report server database. This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot convert to text/ntext or collate to '???.???........???.???.???.??ì.???.???....??ì.???.......' because these legacy LOB types do not support the Unicode supplementary characters whose codepoints are U+10000 or greater. Use types varchar(max), nvarchar(max), or a collation which does not have the _SC flag.
    Cannot convert to text/ntext or collate to '???.???........???.???.???.??ì.???.???....??ì.???.......' because these legacy LOB types do not support the Unicode supplementary characters whose codepoints are U+10000 or greater. Use types varchar(max), nvarchar(max), or a collation which does not have the _SC flag.
    Cannot convert to text/ntext or collate to '???.???........???.???.???.??ì.???.???....??ì.???.......' because these legacy LOB types do not support the Unicode supplementary characters whose codepoints are U+10000 or greater. Use types varchar(max), nvarchar(max), or a collation which does not have the _SC flag.
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!reportserverwebapp!2b!02/12/2019-11:29:36:: i INFO: [gp0mdrqy]: fe80::4f1:85ab:2f5a:1483%4: GET /api/v1.0/SystemResources - Response 500 - 0:00:00.1055548
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!reportserverwebapp!a!02/12/2019-11:29:36:: i INFO: [z7mi7gb8]: fe80::4f1:85ab:2f5a:1483%4: GET /api/v1.0/telemetry - Response 200 - 0:00:00.1112665
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!reportserverwebapp!12!02/12/2019-11:29:36:: i INFO: [ted3gs2j]: fe80::4f1:85ab:2f5a:1483%4: GET /api/v1.0/ReportServerInfo/Model.SiteName - Response 200 - 0:00:00.1050834
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!reportserverwebapp!12!02/12/2019-11:29:36:: i INFO: [y8tv3nqq]: fe80::4f1:85ab:2f5a:1483%4: GET /api/v1.0/notifications - Response 200 - 0:00:00.108367
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!reportserverwebapp!a!02/12/2019-11:29:36:: i INFO: [gkus6lfh]: fe80::4f1:85ab:2f5a:1483%4: GET /api/v1.0/reportserverinfo/model.GetWebAppUrl - Response 200 - 0:00:00.1040322
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!reportserverwebapp!20!02/12/2019-11:29:36:: i INFO: [fdppicpp]: fe80::4f1:85ab:2f5a:1483%4: GET /api/v1.0/reportserverinfo/model.GetVirtualDirectory - Response 200 - 0:00:00.1086299
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!library!1f!02/12/2019-11:29:36:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: , An error occurred within the report server database. This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database.;
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!reportserverwebapp!2b!02/12/2019-11:29:36:: i INFO: [zxye855f]: fe80::4f1:85ab:2f5a:1483%4: GET /api/v1.0/SafeGetSystemResourceContent%28type%3D%27UniversalBrand%27%2Ckey%3D%27logo%27%29 - Response 200 - 0:00:00.1101778
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!library!13!02/12/2019-11:29:36:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: , An error occurred within the report server database. This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database.;
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!reportserverwebapp!13!02/12/2019-11:29:36:: e ERROR: [xwshdrnr]: OData exception occurred: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: An error occurred within the report server database. This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot convert to text/ntext or collate to '???.???........???.???.???.??ì.???.???....??ì.???.......' because these legacy LOB types do not support the Unicode supplementary characters whose codepoints are U+10000 or greater. Use types varchar(max), nvarchar(max), or a collation which does not have the _SC flag.
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!reportserverwebapp!2b!02/12/2019-11:29:36:: i INFO: [xwshdrnr]: fe80::4f1:85ab:2f5a:1483%4: GET /api/v1.0/AllowedActions%28path%3D%40path%29 - Response 500 - 0:00:00.1055899
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!library!8!02/12/2019-11:29:36:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: , An error occurred within the report server database. This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database.;
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!reportserverwebapp!8!02/12/2019-11:29:36:: e ERROR: [3q3ighgn]: OData exception occurred: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: An error occurred within the report server database. This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot convert to text/ntext or collate to '???.???........???.???.???.??ì.???.???....??ì.???.......' because these legacy LOB types do not support the Unicode supplementary characters whose codepoints are U+10000 or greater. Use types varchar(max), nvarchar(max), or a collation which does not have the _SC flag.
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!reportserverwebapp!2b!02/12/2019-11:29:36:: i INFO: [3q3ighgn]: fe80::4f1:85ab:2f5a:1483%4: GET /api/v1.0/CatalogItemByPath%28path%3D%40path%29 - Response 500 - 0:00:00.1053736
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost!reportserverwebapp!29!02/12/2019-11:29:39:: i INFO: [l9ok6lyr]: fe80::4f1:85ab:2f5a:1483%4: GET /api/v1.0/me - Response 200 - 0:00:02.4060534

• So, what about starting over from scratch?  I have done this numerous times going from one server to the next (all same versions-OS/SQL) as well as upgrading from different versions and changing editions of SQL.  Have never seen these types of errors.  I'm guessing a step was missed.

To be clear, you are changing the SSRS server node, NOT the underlying node which SQL Server is running on.  Correct?

Ensure new SSRS node is at the desired patch level, both OS and SQL.  If n+1, do not roll back.  Start anew. 
    On new SSRS node, install SSRS and patch OS/SQL to match, but do not begin configuration of SSRS
    Backup encryption keys
    Stop SSRS on old node
    Backup ReportServer/ReportServerTempDB on SQL Server supporting SSRS
    On new SSRS node, go into SSRS Configuration Manager and point to the SQL Server which supported the previous SSRS instance.
    Restore old SSRS node keys
    Stop SSRS
    Make a copy of rsreportserver.config on new SSRS node
    Do a text compare between new node and old node rsreportserver.config
    There will be some differences in a number of things like the DNS or InstallationId, of course, but ensure the AuthenticationTypes and other basic settings match
    Restart services on new node.

Bask in the glory of having a new SSRS node

• Correct. I don't want to make changes to SQL, just get SSRS running. I patched SQL on the "New" server to match the "Old" Server.
    I want to shut down the "Old" server once everything works.

To be clear, you are changing the SSRS server node, NOT the underlying node which SQL Server is running on. Correct?

• homebrew01 - Tuesday, February 12, 2019 12:05 PM

Correct. I don't want to make changes to SQL, just get SSRS running. I patched SQL on the "New" server to match the "Old" Server.
    I want to shut down the "Old" server once everything works.

To be clear, you are changing the SSRS server node, NOT the underlying node which SQL Server is running on. Correct?

Some of the errors you have can happen when you have issues with restoring ReportServerTempdb. I went back and checked and it looks like you didn't move that database. That is one of the steps when you move Reporting Services databases to another server so I'm wondering if that's not the issue. Here are the steps to move the databases to another server:
    Moving the Report Server Databases to Another Computer (SSRS Native Mode)

Sue

• So, if we are not going to a new underlying SQL Server node to support the SSRS node, there shouldn't be any restore of the ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB databases.  The backups I mention are precautionary.  If you connect an instance of SSRS which is newer than the previous SSRS instance, those two databases will be automatically upgraded.  You will (may) run into issues if you then try to connect a previous version of SSRS to them.

The ReportServerTempDB is like the TempDB of SQL Services, it will be re-built on SSRS restart.  But I can't remember where I read this, but it is highly suggested to use a backup when migrating the ReportServer database.  But, as mentioned, this database should not be touched as you are not changing the location of this database.  Only the SSRS server which points to it.

• Sue_H - Tuesday, February 12, 2019 12:16 PM

type your message

Some of the errors you have can happen when you have issues with restoring ReportServerTempdb. I went back and checked and it looks like you didn't move that database. That is one of the steps when you move Reporting Services databases to another server so I'm wondering if that's not the issue. Here are the steps to move the databases to another server:
    Moving the Report Server Databases to Another Computer (SSRS Native Mode)

Sue

Ahhhh..BINGO...I think that was 1 of the problems. I Re-Restored all RS Databases, restored keys etc, and now I at least see the reports under the "HOME" folder.

• I have progressed to trying to run a report and getting this. Will look it up in a bit.

An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)
    The report server was unable to validate the integrity of encrypted data in the database. (rsCannotValidateEncryptedData)

• Davis H - Tuesday, February 12, 2019 11:56 AM

So, what about starting over from scratch?  I have done this numerous times going from one server to the next (all same versions-OS/SQL) as well as upgrading from different versions and changing editions of SQL.  Have never seen these types of errors.  I'm guessing a step was missed.

To be clear, you are changing the SSRS server node, NOT the underlying node which SQL Server is running on.  Correct?

Ensure new SSRS node is at the desired patch level, both OS and SQL.  If n+1, do not roll back.  Start anew. 
    On new SSRS node, install SSRS and patch OS/SQL to match, but do not begin configuration of SSRS
    Backup encryption keys
    Stop SSRS on old node
    On new SSRS node, go into SSRS Configuration Manager and point to the SQL Server which supported the previous SSRS instance.
    Stop SSRS
    There will be some differences in a number of things like the DNS or InstallationId, of course, but ensure the AuthenticationTypes and other basic settings match

Thanks for the concise summary !
    I have barely touched SSRS over the years.

• Davis H - Tuesday, February 12, 2019 11:56 AM

So, what about starting over from scratch?  I have done this numerous times going from one server to the next (all same versions-OS/SQL) as well as upgrading from different versions and changing editions of SQL.  Have never seen these types of errors.  I'm guessing a step was missed.

Backup encryption keys
    Stop SSRS on old node
    Stop SSRS

"...Restore old SSRS node keys..."

Do you mean restore the keys from "OLD" server onto "NEW" server ?

• On the "old" SSRS node, go into the SSRS Configuration Manager and make a backup of your Encryption Keys.  Copy these keys over to your "new" SSRS node.  Restore these keys in your "new" SSRS Configuration Manager.

This really depends on the number of data sources you have for your instance's report RDLs.

On one of ours, I have just one datasource.  I don't backup/restore when I am working with that one as I can go in and manually re-create the datasource pointing to my SQL server and putting the credentials in.

But, I'm lazy.

• IT WORKS !

Thanks for all the various help. !
    Last fixes were editing Data Source connection strings and some views & functions hardcoded with linked server names.

• homebrew01 - Tuesday, February 12, 2019 3:13 PM

IT WORKS !

Last fixes were editing Data Source connection strings and some views & functions hardcoded with linked server names.

Thanks for posting back...think we all should go have a drink now.

Sue

• Sue_H - Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:30 PM

homebrew01 - Tuesday, February 12, 2019 3:13 PM

IT WORKS !

Sue

I owe you 1 (or 2)

• Sue_H - Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:30 PM

homebrew01 - Tuesday, February 12, 2019 3:13 PM

IT WORKS !

Sue

Indeed!

Do a copy/paste of my earlier post for the process, save it in a text file and put it in your script folder (which is also in source control, right?)

Trust me, you will be doing this again

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply