Replication Security

• I'm in the sysadmin and dba groups everywhere on our network

I remote to the database server box

I open SSMS and connect to the SQL Server as myself using Windows Authentication

I right-click on the Replication node and choose Disable Publishing and Distribution

I choose Yes, disable publishing on this server

I confirm dropping of publications

I check Disable publishing and distribution and click Next

I click Finish

I get the following error:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'Robert.Wilkerson', error code 0x5

Changed database context to 'master'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 15404)

Robert.Wilkerson is the former DBA and hasn't been with the company for about 6 months.

On the Publisher Server's SQL Server Configuration Manager:

SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) - Log On As = CDB\SQLDEVSQL03

SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER) - Log On As = CDB\SQLDEVSQL03

On the Subscriber Server's SQL Server Configuration Manager:

SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) - Log On As = CDB\SQLDEVSQL04

SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER) - Log On As = CDB\SQLDEVSQL04

Owner of the published database = CDB\SQLDEVSQL03

Owner of the subscriber database = CDB\SQLDEVSQL04

I contacted a Network Administrator and he confirmed that neither CDB\SQLDEVSQL03 or CDB\SQLDEVSQL04 are tied to Robert.Wilkerson's account at all.

• Either there's a proxy account, or the Replication is being executed under his account, which is possible. Have a look a the publication and subscription properties, and check the Agent Process Account and see if it's running under his credentials there.

• liteswitch (1/23/2014)

Either there's a proxy account, or the Replication is being executed under his account, which is possible. Have a look a the publication and subscription properties, and check the Agent Process Account and see if it's running under his credentials there.

There are several proxy accounts, but all are set to credentials that lead back to CDB\SQLDEVSQL03

On the publication, on the Agent Security node, the snapshot and log reader agents are both set to CDB\SQLDEVSQL03

Here's a kicker. I went through the process of creating the subscription and never got an error, but the subscription isn't showing up

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply