Replication on SQL2000 with timestamp column

• I'm trying to add a timestamp column to a replicated table and get 'Cannot add identity column without forcing reinitialization'. Why is that ? Is there anyway get around without reinitialization the subscription ?

• Use sp_repladdcolumn.

• Use sp_repladdcolumn.

• I did use sp_repladdcolumn and get this error. The exact syntatx: sp_repladdcolumn @source_object = 'Table_A' , @column = 'TA_TS' , @typetext = 'timestamp', @force_invalidate_snapshot = 0, @force_reinit_subscription = 0

• sp_repladdcolumn is used for all types of replication.

When using sp_repladdcolumn, if a schema change is made to an article that belongs to a publication that uses a DTS package, the schema change is not propagated to the Subscriber, and the custom procedures for INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE are not regenerated on the Subscribers. The user will need to regenerate the DTS package manually, and make the corresponding schema change at the Subscribers. If the schema update is not applied, the Distribution Agent may fail to apply subsequent modifications. Before making a schema change, make sure there are no pending transactions to be delivered. For more information, see How Transforming Published Data Works.

When typetext is assigned a default value that is a nondeterministic function (for example, 'datetime not null default getdate()'), non-convergence can occur after adding the new column because the function will be executed at the subscriber in order to load a default value into the column. 

Timestamp and computed columns will be filtered out for character mode publications. If adding a timestamp or computed column using sp_repladdcolumn, subscriptions of such publications will not receive this new column.

Important  A backup of the publication database should be performed after sp_repladdcolumn has been executed. Failure to do so can cause a merge failure after a restore of the publication database.

• I got correct answer from Microsoft. You can't add timestamp or any calculate column to the replicate database without re-initialize the snapshot.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply