Replication from SQL2005 to SQL2008 (cluster environment) not working...

• Hi,

I am trying to replicate data from a 2K5 -> 2K8 sql server. Both are in a Windows Cluster in environment.

I am able to create a publisher on the 2k5 side,. however I cannot connect to the publisher from my 2K8 server.

I always get the infamous error message:

TITLE: Connect to Server

------------------------------

Cannot connect to MYSERVER.domain.com\MYINSTANCE.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

SQL Server replication requires the actual server name to make a connection to the server. Connections through a server alias, IP address, or any other alternate name are not supported. Specify the actual server name, 'MYSERVER\MYINSTANCE'. (Replication.Utilities)

BUTTONS:

OK

I have to tried to create an alias but that also doesn´t work.

However I "can" connect to the 2K5 server from 2K8 through Management Studio, it´s only when I try to create a subscrition when everything fails.

This is very annoying :/

• I believe you have to create a pull subscription from the 2k8 side because of version mechanics instead of a push from the 2k5, but I wouldn't take that as anything more then an idea without some extra research.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• I believe I am doing that.

I create a Local publication on 2K5 and I´m trying to create a Local Subscription on the 2K8 server, isn´t that correct? :/

• As the error message says, use "'MYSERVER\MYINSTANCE'", not "'MYSERVER.domain.com\MYINSTANCE'" for each of the instances involved with replication.

Generally, it is easiest to get replication working if you have very server registered in Management Studio first.

I am pretty sure that using an alias works as long as you have it registered in Management Studio. You will also need to make sure that the alias is also defined server side otherwise Management Studio will be happy to create the publication and associated subscriptions but when the replication agents run, they may not be able to find the server defined by the alias.

• What do you mean exactly with having the alias also server side ? Do you mean where the publication is ?

SQL2K5 = Publication

SQL2K8 = Subscription

I created an alias called "alias_myserver". I can use the alias in Management Studio and I registered it there as well.

Do I have to have the same alias on SQL2K5 side ?

• I even now created the server with sp_addserver in every possible combination.

In Management Studio I can connect to the remote server, view all databases, users, tables, but... I cannot view properties of the Publication that I've set up. I can´t understand what could be the problem 🙁

• I found the solution on this site 🙂

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic554399-149-1.aspx

After adding the server name to the host file on the subscriber side (2K8) I was able to connect.

• oskargunn (3/21/2011)

I found the solution on this site 🙂

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic554399-149-1.aspx

After adding the server name to the host file on the subscriber side (2K8) I was able to connect.

Thanks for the solution post, Oksar. I now have some reading to do on host files, apparently I've completely forgotten something.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Actually I think you need to add a line to the publisher side aswell

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply