replicating schema changes

• Hello!

I have setup testing transactional replication environment on my local computer running SQL Server 2000. I was trying to test replication of schema changes done to one of the tables participating in publication using command similar to:

sp_repladdcolumn @source_object='Authors', @column='Test4',@typetext='varchar(40) null', @force_reinit_subscription=1

According to BOL: 'In transactional replication, the schema change will be propagated to Subscribers the next time the Log Reader Agent and the Distribution Agent run' Unfortunately, this is not the case. Schema changes are only replicated if I manually execute snapshot agent. My understanding this could be very expensive for big databases as all tables participating in publication (that could be potentially quite big) are refreshed on subscriber from scratch. Am I missing something here?

Also, if I mark subscription for reinitialization in EM, it tells me that 'Reinitializating will occur next time the Snapshot Agent and Distribution Agent run'. That tells me that Snapshot Agent has to be executed to propagate schema changes.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Igor

• I found the answer. The key is @force_reinit_subscription. Once I set it to 0, changes were replicated without need to rerun snapshot agent.

Thanks,

Igor

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply