'replacing' values in a select statement

• Hello,

I was wondering is it possible to 'replace' a value in a column within a select statement, but not 'commit' the value? For example, I have these two statements in my code:

, CRM_Orders.PROCESS_TYPE AS [Service Order Trans Type]

, MAX(CASE WHEN CRM_Orders.PROCESS_TYPE = 'ZRPM' THEN CRM_Orders.PROCESS_TYPE ELSE NULL END) as [PM Orders]

And my resulting column looks like this:

Service Order Trans Type | PM Orders

ZSVO | NULL

ZRPM | ZRPM

ZRPM | ZRPM

ZINT | NULL

So, basically my script identifies any order as a PM Order by listing ZRPM in the PM Orders column and anything that's listed as NULL isn't a qualifying order. And this works great, but what would be really slick 😎 is if I could esentially do the same thing but replace it with a meaningful word for all the codes in a single column without altering the table, so do it with variables and stuff....

So it would look like this:

Service Order Trans Type | Order Desc

ZSVO | Order A

ZRPM | PM Order

ZRPM | PM Order

ZINT | Order B

The reason why I'd like to do this is so that my report is in a more user friendly format because not everybody knows what those codes mean.

Any help or a step in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I don't even know if this is possible???

THANK YOU!

Michelle 🙂

• Any reason you can't create a lookup table and join to that? One column with the abbreviation, one with the friendly description.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Hi GSquared! 🙂

I could.... but I was hoping to get around that because I would need approval to create a new table. And then heads might roll. I'm kinda' unique where I'm at because I'm a programmer but I'm not in IT so I need approval for those kinds of things and then it gets bureaucratic.

Thanks -Michelle

• ZSVO | Order A

ZRPM | PM Order

ZRPM | PM Order

ZINT | Order B

Having a lookup table for the PROCESS_TYPE is the best approach to handle your problem. You should not avoid just because of the required approvals.

Even though you can replace these Process Type codes with your desired string values using case statements but i would preffer to go with the lookup table only as case statements would not be a scalable approach. If you go for case statements every time one new process type is added you need to modify your code moreover it will cause performance issues also in future as your table grows.

If still you wish to go with changing the process types in the query itself then u can use following code.

CASE WHEN CRM_Orders.PROCESS_TYPE = 'ZSVO' THEN 'Order A'

WHEN CRM_Orders.PROCESS_TYPE = 'ZRPM' THEN 'PM Order'

WHEN CRM_Orders.PROCESS_TYPE = 'ZINT' THEN 'Order B'

ELSE NULL END as [PM Orders]

• mmunson (7/16/2009)

Hi GSquared! 🙂

I could.... but I was hoping to get around that because I would need approval to create a new table. And then heads might roll. I'm kinda' unique where I'm at because I'm a programmer but I'm not in IT so I need approval for those kinds of things and then it gets bureaucratic.

Thanks -Michelle

Build it as a temp table in the proc.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (7/17/2009)

mmunson (7/16/2009)

Hi GSquared! 🙂

Thanks -Michelle

Build it as a temp table in the proc.

A temp table in the proc is your second best option. Still means it'll require code modification if your list ever gets updated, but it'll be better than a rack of case statements.

Perhaps an option would be for you to have a database on the server that is your playground, where you could build tables and write code, but where it wouldn't change anything in the main database.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply