Removing previous instance names

• Due to restructuring of our company network, I have had to rename several servers running SQL Server 2000 as well as my personal PC which is running the desktop edition. Nothing critical, but is there a way to remove the previous instance names from the list of available choices when connecting to, say, Query Analyzer. I scan the registry and found some entries with the new names and old under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\TDS. Would deleting the old entries from this key accomplish what I need? Thanks.

• Good question. Don't know! I'd say either just test to see since it should only affect your local machine, or you can use a tool like RegMon to track registry access to see where it's getting the data from.

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• I found the answer. The "most recent used" list of connections for Query Analyzer is found under the reg key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Client\PrefServers. This key contains six keys for Server0 through Server5. I left the keys intact but simply deleted their respective values for the ones containing old server names. Thanks for the input...

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply