Remote SQL trace causing network slowness

• Hello!

I was running SQL Trace from my computer (remotely) and noticed that all activities against this server are slowing down. Queries that normally takes a sec to execute are taking much longer. Once I stop trace, everything is back to normal. Local Area Connection graph show network activity under 0.5%.
      I have no problems when I start trace locally on the second node of the cluster (server in question is SQL Server 2005 64-bit /Windows 2003 SP1 Active/Passive cluster). Did someone experience similar problem? What is the best practices in regards to executing SQL Trace to minimize impact on SQL server?

Thanks,
    Igor
  • This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Have you tried to use perfmon on the NIC interfaces ? My guess is that if you used perfmon (locally) whilst you performed the network SQL trace and the local SQL trace you'd see why things are slowing down. A separate session on both interfaces, the public (where the network SQL trace data goes) and the private (crossover) where your local passove node trace is probably going.

If this is the case it's because the cluster was built with defaults networking, communication and binding (and they are not correct), who would have thought that MS defaults were wrong ?!?!?

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• it's not because your queries slow down, that your network slows it down !

For sqlserver it depends wich trace-flags are activated for the trace.

e.g. do you only capture sqltext or also have selected the execution plans, all locking acitivity, .....

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

•    There was something wrong with our network, I believe. When running trace, I noticed that overall connection to network where SQL Server located was slow. For example, even RPD sessions became significantly slower.

When running trace on second (passive) node, connectivity is Ok.

Igor

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply