Remote DBA Services

• has anyone had any experience with a remote dba company called bluewolf? or even a remote dba service, in general? My company is having discussions on bringing them on-board to perform remote SQL DBA activities and there's not a lot of material out there that's not propaganda from the companies themselves. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

• Only, partially in the SQL Server space. At my last job, we outsourced some overnight support (mainly Oracle, but some SQL) to Accenture in India, and in general we were successful, after much training and standardization they were able to handle basics.

There are some much better services out there, such as Pythian. This is a lot of work to implement successfully, especially in a mixed support model--roles need to be defined carefully, and boundaries should be drawn.

• First, let me disclose, my company offers these Remote DBA services. BUT, although I'd like anyone to consider using us, I won't specifically talk about them (except for my URL below 🙂

BlueWolf is one of the big providers of these Remote DBA services, and have been successful with this model. Some companies, as Joe mentioned, outsource the "follow-the-sun" overnight monitoring to places like India, the Phillipines, etc. Other big providers, such as Ntirety, "in-source" or on-shore, and therefore all there DBA resources are USA based.

I worked at a company that did the overnight monitoring of the SQL infrastructure to India. To build trust and confidence, we started with letting them take care of the monthly patching and service packs. Gradually, we moved on to monitoring, alerting, and finally resolutions.

The important factor is they provided us with daily and weekly reports, etc. The SLA's are important, and if they can meet the communication, and rapid response criteria, then its worth considering - especially, if you are one of a few DBA's at your company (as I was), doing Admin, Development, Projects etc. - it was nice to know there were some folks taking care of the mundance and repetitive stuff.

Hope this helps! And, if you are interested, please check us out at:

http://www.pearlknows.com -->Remote DBA. Thx

• I will back what Robert said of remote dba work. I think it can be successful and there are some successful companies out there. It is important to stay involved with that group and keep the communication lines wide open.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Joe Lax, former MVP who also used to run NYC PASS Chapter owned a company that did remote DBA service. I think it was called dbdirections.com. I think it is a great option for smaller companies that cannot afford dbas.

• dma-669038 (4/4/2011)

Joe Lax, former MVP who also used to run NYC PASS Chapter owned a company that did remote DBA service. I think it was called dbdirections.com. I think it is a great option for smaller companies that cannot afford dbas.

I tend to agree with that. It is a way of reducing IT overhead. Due diligence needs to be performed first to ensure that the remote service will be appropriate and competent enough for the business.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• You can also utilize the services of 99 Consulting for the Remote DBA. You may please visit them at http://www.99-consulting.com/node/21 or at http://www.99-consulting.com

Regards,

99 Consulting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply