Remote backups?

• I'm setting up a SQL 2000 db on a hosted server that doesn't have regular database level backups done (just full file level backups to tape).  I have dbo rights on my database but nothing further.  I'm not comfortable with this level of backup and I'm wondering what options I have to set up an automated backup schedule myself (given my limited access to the server).

• It shouldn't be too much of a problem to schedule a backup to a  predefined folder (ask whoever is doing the hosting to tell you where to put it).

If you can do a backup normally then you'll also have permissions to schedule one to run automatically.

• Just create a maintenance plan to schedule the backup

• First off I would either demand that your hosting service provide regular DATABASE backups or I would find another service.  File level backups DO NOT WORK for databases. 

As DBO you have the ability to backup the database, but you just need them to tell you where to put the backup files.  The backup files should then be written off to tape by the file system backup.  You should be prepared for them to charge for the "extra" space used though.

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/

• I'd try to work with the 'host' firm. However, if you cannot get disk space to 'backup' your databases (both full and transactional) get another firm to 'host' your application. One final note concerning backups. Backups (and DBAs) are only as good as the last successful restore that occurred !!!

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply