Release unused space after drop table in SQL 2008 Enterprise Edition

• I believe I am having the same issue.

I copied a 300GB table out to a new filegroup (because to was too large to shrink after mass deletes)

It ended up to be only 75GB in the new File Group Location.

I dropped the original table.

The ndf file where the old 300GB table will not shrink down below 52GB even though there is only 2GB of data left in the filegroup. I rebuilt every Table in the filegroup

DBCC Shrinkfile (N'FileGroupName',1024) did not reclaim any space below 52GB

• sbaker-757360 (3/16/2012)

I believe I am having the same issue.

I copied a 300GB table out to a new filegroup (because to was too large to shrink after mass deletes)

It ended up to be only 75GB in the new File Group Location.

I dropped the original table.

The ndf file where the old 300GB table will not shrink down below 52GB even though there is only 2GB of data left in the filegroup. I rebuilt every Table in the filegroup

DBCC Shrinkfile (N'FileGroupName',1024) did not reclaim any space below 52GB

2 problems with your post 1) This thread is almost 6 months old and 2) a new topic would be better for your post as we would have a fresh thread to help you out.

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2[/url]

• I'll create a new post:-P

• Did you create a new post?

• AER (3/17/2012)

Did you create a new post?

Yes, here[/url]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply