Reindexing and fragmentation

• Where the 1000 pages actually comes from... & the guy who wrote that code at MS!

http://sqlskills.com/BLOGS/PAUL/post/Where-do-the-Books-Online-index-fragmentation-thresholds-come-from.aspx

• Guras (1/5/2012)

rfr.ferrari (1/5/2012)

how many time to execute the select command in table?

It takes about a second to return all the 361 rows.

If you are retrieving the whole population of the table (361 rows in this case) you better pray execution plan DO NOT rely on indexes but on a Full Table Scan.

Having said that, I agree with a previous post in the sense that on a 361 rows table fragmentation really don't matter.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Ninja's_RGR'us (1/6/2012)

Where the 1000 pages actually comes from... & the guy who wrote that code at MS!

http://sqlskills.com/BLOGS/PAUL/post/Where-do-the-Books-Online-index-fragmentation-thresholds-come-from.aspx

Yeah, Paul Randal's bottom. Ha!

1000 pags is a good a guideline as anything. I wouldn't get married to it though. I sure wouldn't bother for anything less than 100 pages.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Small indexes (I.e. few pages) are scattered because the pages fill in gaps in used extents. It's likely the database engine would incur extra I\O to move pages to make way for the smaller index and this just isn't worth the effort. It's all explained in the SQL server internals books.

Grant Fritchey (1/6/2012)

You've just put me off my dinner 😛

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (1/6/2012)

Small indexes (I.e. few pages) are scattered because the pages fill in gaps in used extents. It's likely the database engine would incur extra I\O to move pages to make way for the smaller index and this just isn't worth the effort. It's all explained in the SQL server internals books.

Grant Fritchey (1/6/2012)

You've just put me off my dinner 😛

So he's keeping you honest about your new-years' resolution. You should thank him! 😎

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply