Recursive query to produce business_unit, parent_item_no, level of recursion, child_item_no

• Good morning fellas, i have a unique problem that needs a unique solution,

i have an inventory list that stores business_unit, parent_item_no, and child_item_no; child_item_no can also be parents to other child_item_no but still will be listed as child_item_no, irrespective of their parents. am trying to write a query to produce the business_unit, parent_item_no, the level to which the child_item_no relates to the parent, and the child_item_no, i have attached an excel sheet to show how i would want the product of the script to look like, any help is appreciated. thanks guys.

• Look up Common Table Expressions in Books Online. That's precisely what it was created for.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190766(v=SQL.105).aspx

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• yes, i have but i but i can't seem to write the anchor statement properly

• Post your table DLL, an INSERT statement with sample data, and what you've written on the CTE. That will help us help you better.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I'll take a shot in the dark, from what I can see in the data you have posted there are no levels, 235021 is the only parent so all levels returned will be one, however I think you want something like this (I've added an extra row of data)

DECLARE @TABLE AS TABLE

(BusinessUnit CHAR(3),ParentItemShortNo INT,ChildItemShortNo INT)

INSERT INTO @TABLE

SELECT 'ACD',235021,235277 UNION ALL

SELECT 'ACD',235021,235281 UNION ALL

SELECT 'ACD',235021,235292 UNION ALL

SELECT 'ACD',235021,235297 UNION ALL

SELECT 'ACD',235021,235298 UNION ALL

SELECT 'ACD',235021,235302 UNION ALL

SELECT 'ACD',235021,235304 UNION ALL

SELECT 'ACD',235021,235320 UNION ALL

SELECT 'ACD',235021,235362 UNION ALL

SELECT 'ACD',235021,235377 UNION ALL

SELECT 'ACD',235021,235385 UNION ALL

SELECT 'ACD',235021,235388 UNION ALL

SELECT 'ACD',235021,235392 UNION ALL

SELECT 'ACD',235021,235531 UNION ALL

SELECT 'ACD',235021,235575 UNION ALL

SELECT 'ACD',235021,235836 UNION ALL

SELECT 'ACD',235021,257885 UNION ALL

SELECT 'ACD',257885,99 UNION ALL

SELECT 'ACD',235021,322618

;

WITH CTE (BusinessUnit, ParentItemShortNo, ChildItemShortNo, Lv)

AS

(

SELECT

BusinessUnit

,ParentItemShortNo

,ChildItemShortNo

,1 AS lv

FROM

@TABLE

UNION ALL

SELECT

CTE.BusinessUnit

,CTE.ParentItemShortNo

,T.ChildItemShortNo

,CTE.lv + 1

FROM

@TABLE AS T

INNER JOIN CTE

ON T.ParentItemShortNo = CTE.ChildItemShortNo

)

SELECT *

FROM CTE

However without a little more to go on its difficult to know

Andy

==========================================================================================================================
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. Mitch Ratcliffe

• that's a great example, thanks, i wanted to add that the the select statement is for just one business_unit and one parent_item_no, there are multiple business_units and parent_item_no's, so based on your solution what would be the way to go about that?.

• It would be easier for us to answer that question if you posted the requested DDL and sample data. The sample data doesn't have to be real. You can fake it. We just need something as a reference point.

• Thanks 🙂

that's a great example, thanks, i wanted to add that the the select statement is for just one business_unit and one parent_item_no, there are multiple business_units and parent_item_no's, so based on your solution what would be the way to go about that?.

Not 100% sure what you mean, if you want to restrict the results to one business unit just pop that in a WHERE clause in the first part of the CTE

Brandie is right, it would help to have some examples..

Andy

==========================================================================================================================
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. Mitch Ratcliffe

• thank you, but i don't want to restrict the results to one business unit, i want to include all business units

• want to include all business units

The code I posted above for you will run for all business units as it is, there is no restriction

• thank you,i appreciate all your help

• No Worries

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply