Recover Table Data from .ldf File in SQL Server 2005

• Hi Friends,

I am using SQL Server 2005 ,by mistake i run update query without where condition.

is there any way to recover data which was there before update statement executed.

Thanks in Advance

Pratik Asthana

• If the DB is in full recovery and there's an existing full backup you can back the log up then restore the database (I suggest alongside the existing one with a different name), restore the log with the STOPAT option and stop before the update ran.

If you're in simple recovery, the log will be truncated when a checkpoint occurs (usually around every minute) and so there won't be anything in the log shortly. You can try buying a log reader tool (apex has one, so do a couple other companies) and seeing if there's anything there, but chances are slim.

The only free log reader that I know of is RedGate's and that only works on SQL 2000.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi,

as said if you have full backup and transaction log backup.. then.. find the below syntax

restore database mydb from disk = ‘c:\mydb_full.bak’ with norecovery

restore log mydb from disk = ‘c:\mydb_log1.bak’ with norecovery

restore log mydb from disk = ‘c:\mydb_log2.bak’ with recovery, stopat =

‘Aug 20, 2008 1:01 PM

• You won,t be able to rollback the data once it is committed. You can try doing a point in time recovery & get back the lost data.

If not you can use the SQL Log Rescue tool. For more details refer to http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Log_Rescue/index.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------
    **"There is only one difference between dream and aim. Dream requires Soundless sleep to see…Where as Aim Requires Sleepless Efforts to Achieve":-) **

• SQL DBA (7/9/2009)

If not you can use the SQL Log Rescue tool. For more details refer to http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Log_Rescue/index.htm

Log rescue works on SQL 2000 , not SQL 2005.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply