Recomendations and opinions please

• Hi , I want to do the certification of (MCTS) and I think there is only one exam for it (70-431), Please confirm me, if this is right?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

GG

• For MCTS, yes, there is only one test and it is the above test (see http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcts/sql/default.mspx for more details). 

Unfortunately, the MCTS is like the original MCP.  It's not worth a whole lot on its own because it just means you took (and passed) only one SQL Server test.  If you're looking to actually have a SQL Server certification, what you want to go for is the MCITP in either BI, Development or Administration.  The MCTS itself is not a full SQL Server certification.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Juan, you can pick up the SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition for around $50(US) or less, and it's not time-expiring, so it lasts forever (but you can't use it for production servers -- license violation!).

Check out Price Grabber for one such shopping point. This is how I got my copy, it's nice having every component of SS2K5 on one DVD. You also get Itanium and x64 editions! But MAKE SURE you run updates on it after installation!

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Hi all,

can anyone explain more about simulations? Do they expect us to get each click correct or is it just required to perform what is required irrespective of how many incorrect clicks we get? For example, if we click on database A instead of Database B by mistake, is it considered incorrect?

• You have a scenario, like user XX needs to be able to read from all objects in a schema. That wasn't one I saw, but an example. You might see the database list in Object Explorer and be able to click down to security, add a user based on a login, add permissions, etc.

You can click in other places, but I don't believe it has any effect. The end result is important.

I had time and clicked all around to see what the extent of the SSMS simulation was. It's a part of SSMS, not the whole thing.

• I think your example won't be wrong. Also it's not like if you enable an option, it's enabled for good and you can't change it; you can go back and disable it, or you can reset the  simulation, which returns all the windows / screens / options to the way it was before you changed anything. The questions are pretty specific though; there was one I remember, that asked you to create a database and it more or less told you exactly what to do, i.e the size of the databases, the location, the settings for growth etc.. They even had the create database dialog open at the beginning of the sim. What I think they were testing in that question is that you're familiar with the create database screen and you know how the different recovery models affect transaction logging.

• All,

Thanks a lot for the info. It would be great if you could post information like number of sections; number of questions in each section; time constraint, if any for each section in the exams.

• If the practice tests are any example, I'm thinking you have 145 minutes total for the exam.  The other stuff may be covered by NDAs (I haven't taken the test yet, so I don't know for sure). 

Also, different testing centers have different versions of the exam if this one is like some of the others I've taken, so one person's answer won't help you much in this regard.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply