Rebuild INDEXES

• Hi All,

I would like to apply REBUILD_REORGANIZE in my production server so I need the approval first . My manager asked me about should the DCS service will be turned off to prevent the communication between applications during the maintenance schedule as it could potentially cause issues ?

the duration for 1 database takes around 1 until 4 mins in testing server ( 6 CPU ) and I will rebuild 1 database first in the production ( 12 CPU )

pls advice about the DCS Service ..

Thanks heaps

• What's a DCS service?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I did a quick search online and couldn't identify what DCS Service is either.

In general, yes, you can rebuild indexes while the system is in use. You will see some resource contention and blocking while the rebuild occurs. You'll have to determine the extensiveness of this on your system and whether it pushes you to disable your DCS Service (whatever that might be).

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• jacksonandrew321 (9/5/2014)

For some extent as I know DCS Service is the one that helps to implement SQL Server based directory store. For more details visit here about DCS http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd632696.aspx

Thank you for the comments guys ! appreciate it

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply