"REBBRUI.rll is missing" error from Enterprise Man after installing SP3

• Greetings,

I am posting this information here as well in hopes that someone looking in this forum is able to help.  The link is below as well as enough content to get an idea as the nature of the problem.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks - Michael

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?messageid=102357

Service Pack 3a error

Posted 2/25/2004 12:08:00 PM 

Hi,

I have installed service pack 3a on 2 of my machines. It went well.  But, when I try to open Ent. Manager, and expand the server icon, i get 2 errors.

1.  REBBRUI.rll is missing

2. Snap-In failed to initialize  Name: Meta Data Services  

I can OK these messages and proceed.  It is kind of harmless.  But, I want to know what am I missing ?   I am sure some might have got this, as I have got it in 2 machines.

When I access the same server thru EM, from a remote machine no errors.

Very much appreciate, your feedbacks.

bijay

Hi bijay,

I recently installed MS SQL 2000 SP3 over SP2 and am receiving the same errors.

My specifics are:

Messagebox Header: Meta Data Services

Once 'OK' is clicked, the next messagebox reads:

Messagebox Header: MMC

Name: Meta Data Services

CLSID: {1DBA4DD4-EB97-4FD2-AB80-9D0D4BA74034}

As you stated, once you click 'OK' to each of these messages, all appears fine but my fear is also that I am missing something that I shouldn't be.

If anyone could help, we would both greatly appreciate the assistance.

Michael

P.S. As some additional information, I have not been able to find the file REBBRUI.rll on either our test or production SQL 2000 machines.  I first performed the EXACT same update (SP3) on our test server and receive no errors when locally opening Enterprise Manager there.  This problem did not occur until installing SP3 on our production server.  I also searched the registry of both servers for referrences to this file and came up empty in both cases so the REBBRUI.rll file does not appear to exist on a server producing these errors or one that does not.

Microsoft's Knowledgebase and MSDN sites appear to have nothing regarding this and I have seen enough forum posts to know that this is happening to others.

• I got this same error quite a while back, prolly after I applied SP2. So the prob isn't nessarilly sp3, it is bigger than that. It has only happened to me on 1 of 65 servers tho, never did figure it out.

rdann

• Had a similar problem when installing 2K Enterprise Edition. I re-installed client tools only from the CD and the problem sorted itself out.

• I have the same problem !! - nothing in MS Knowledge base about it ?? - what's going on?

• I believe it may be related to installing the SP3a through terminal services (application mode).  Has anyone tried installing SP3a on the local machine or in Terminal server(remote administrator mode).  Apparently some dll's are not getting registered properly when using terminal services in Applicaiton mode. 

PS: Changing terminal services mode on a server that is already setup in application mode may cause programs installed on that server to not run properly when toggling between application mode and remote administration mode.  You may need to re-install all apps on that server.

• I believe it may be related to installing the SP3a through terminal services (application mode).  Has anyone tried installing SP3a on the local machine or in Terminal server(remote administrator mode).  Apparently some dll's are not getting registered properly when using terminal services in Applicaiton mode. 

PS: Changing terminal services mode on a server that is already setup in application mode may cause programs installed on that server to not run properly when toggling between application mode and remote administration mode.  You may need to re-install all apps on that server.

• I just installed it on a machine not via terminal services and receive the same error:  "rebbrui.rll is missing".

C.J. Morgan

Fedex Freight

• Try to reinstall Analysis Services and SP4. I had the same problem. Last weeek I reinstall Analysis Services and the message desapear.

In my case, the system folder was copied from another machine and canceled at the midle of the process. I tryed to reinstall SP4, but the message continue. Last week i reinstall Analysis Services and SP4,... the message desapear.

Good luck!!

• This has happened to me on 2 installations, once with sp3, and once with sp4.  From the looks of it, it is looking like a hardware issue.  I built an image with everything working well, no errors.  Swapped chassis and the message returns.  I still don't have a solution!!!

• I know you've probably long since found your solution, however, I'll go ahead and post this so others can benefit from my pain. 

The problem is there are dll and rll missing from the SQL Server and C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Repostry and subsequent folders.

FIX:

1) RENAME EXISTING DLLS & RLLS IN SECTION 1AND REPLACE THEM (find new copies in either sp4 files or 2000 installation files - where to find them is listed below in Section 2).

2) Register these with regsvr32.exe (found in Windows\system32 folder).  It is easier just to copy the regsvr32.exe in the c: directory (less to type). You will get an error message when you register the rlls - you can ignore. 

cd <to the directory holding the dlls and rlls>

c:\regsvr32.exe <name of dll>

repeat for all directories and dlls and rlls until you've registered the newly replaced dlls and rlls and the existing ones listed at the very bottom in Section 3

3)You should not need to reboot.

Move fresh copies of these dlls and rlls to these directories and register them:

SECTION 1:

Folder <drive_letter>:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Repostry\Resources should have 5 resource files: 

Msmdcxml.rll

Msrmirc.rll

repbrmdc.rll

repbrui.rll

reprc.rll

<drive_letter>:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Repostry

dbscan.dll

insrepim.dll

msmdcxml.dll

repbr.dll

repbrui.dll

repodbc.dll

sqlmmcrp.chm

==========================

SECTION 2:

The Action Plan is the following:

From SQL Server 2000 CD folder x86\repostry copy the following files over and register them with regsvr32.exe:

insrepim.dll

msmdcxml.dll

repbr.dll

sqlmmcrp.chm

From x86\repostry\res\1033 folder copy and register the following files:

Msmdcxml.rll

Msrmirc.rll

repbrmdc.rll

repbrui.rll

From SP4 installation media folder \x86\repostry copy over the following files and register them with regsvr32.exe:

dbscan.dll

repbrui.dll

repodbc.dll

Folder \x86\repostry\res\1033 copy over the file and register a single file only:

reprc.dll

===================================

SECTION 3:

If you cannot open DTS packages re-register the DLL’s using regsvr32 as well.The following is the list of all the DLL's which are loaded when DTS designer is launched:

SQL Level DLL's 

===============

C\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\stardds.dll

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\dtsui.dll

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\Resources\1033\dtsui.RLL

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\dtsffile.dll

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\Resources\1033\dtsffile.RLL

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\dtspump.dll

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\Resources\1033\dtspump.

COMMON FILES:

================

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\oledb32.dll

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\OLEDB32R.DLL

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\msadc\msadce.dll

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\msadc\msadcer.dll

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSDesigners98\mdt2dd.dll

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSDesigners98\mdt2fw.DLL

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSDesigners98\mdt2df.dll

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSDesigners98\mdt2dfX.DLL

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\sqloledb.dll

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\MSDATL3.dll

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSDesigners98\mdt2gddr.dll

😎

• Hello Deb,

Thanks for posting the information regarding your resolution.  Though I have not compared your solution to this one, this is how I was able to work through the matter:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=5&messageid=102357&p=2

Definitely an annoying issue to be certain.

Regards,

Michael

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply