Reading the DatabaseName_log.ldf

• We have an ASP/SQL Server application. Every now and again I have the need to question the actual data that a User entered. I think they are making mistakes but I cannot tell for sure. Does anyone know of some freeware that I could use to read an .ldf?  I'd like to see the data that is actually applied by our Stored Procedure(s).

There is no money in our budget so purchase suggestions are out of the question.

Thanks

• Not free but you could try a demo from Log explorer from Lumigent.

http://www.lumigent.com

Beside, you could use profiler or trace sp, to actually check what is executing in your server, or also could create triggers in the tables you need to audit.

• Before I created this thread I did check out the Log Explorer demo.  It only works with the Northwind and Pubs DB's.

How can I use Profiler, trace sp, or triggers to track information through out the day?

Thanks

• Profiler does involve overhead but you also don't have any options.

You can pick up a standard template to run and it should give you all the information you need.

• you mentioned that you are using stored procedures. There are a couple of things you can do.

1.Add an extra parameter to them for enabling/disabling logging. create a logging table and add an insert statement at the very begining that logs the parameter values to each and every one of the proc you want to trace  

2. Profiler is your best friend, if runned from a different box and you limit the amount of data you are gathering

HTH

* Noel

• The simplest way is to make the history tables and add a trigger on the existing tables. Trigger should log the existing values in the history table. May be this thing will solve your problem.

And for Logexplorer, you need to buy a licensed version to explore the all capabilities.

• Thanks for all of the replies.

I suspect that I am to create the log or history table that is mentioned.  Then what do I do?  String all of the incoming parameters delimited by say a plus sign (+), as used in IIS Logging, and then write this variable string, along with the name of the Stored Procedure, to the log/history table?

So in this example:

exec sp_insert_name 'John', 'Kerry'

I would create this log/history record:

sp_insert_name+John+Kerry

If I am correct here, can anyone tell me how to string these variables (parameters) together? Will I have to first convert INT and DATETIME type variables to VARCHAR?

Thanks again. 

• I think there is a script here in qa.sqlservercentral.com that make this log (History) table and make Trigers on all table.. Search for it on this site.

Alamir Mohamed
    Alamir_mohamed@yahoo.com

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply