Reading SQL Logs

• Hi

Is there a way to read the sql that was used in a log? And also if possible see if the sql in the script is for new data or a structure.

I'm not really looking for full how to read this, maybe just what I should google to get information on how to do this

Thanks in advance 😀

The Fastest Methods aren't always the Quickest Methods

• your post is very vague and I think the terms your using do not actually reflect what your looking for.

By Log do you mean the transaction log or the event log ? Could you please rephrase the question ?

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• Sorry, What I'm looking to do (if it's possible) is to read through the transaction logs and get all the sql that is executed to create the specific log.

In the end I wish to be able to make a backup, then make lots of changes and if everything works as expected get all the sql from somewhere (I thought it would be possible from transaction logs) and then use those scripts on the production database.

• There are tools you can buy to do that. The cheapest is around $1000

The log is not meant to be human-readable, it does not contain any T-SQL, just the effects of the changes made.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Would the only way to get these changes be the way RedGates application does it by comparing 2 databases and then telling what is differences are between the 2 databases?

or is there another way to get this type of information?

• BinaryDigit (8/18/2011)

Sorry, What I'm looking to do (if it's possible) is to read through the transaction logs and get all the sql that is executed to create the specific log.

In the end I wish to be able to make a backup, then make lots of changes and if everything works as expected get all the sql from somewhere (I thought it would be possible from transaction logs) and then use those scripts on the production database.

What you need a source control software not a log reader. A standard practice in developement companies is to checkin code to a source control such as TFS , SVN etc. These softwares generate version numbers for each code you check in and therefore allows you to go back in time to pick any paticular version of the code you want.

The approach of reading from a tran log is likely to cause issues because it also contains DML; besides if you really want a better option would be to create a DDl trigger and have it check for any create , alter or drop statements.

The Tran log is not meant for the kind of task you want.

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• Depends. What kind of changes are you making and why can't you just apply them to the production DB later?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• We have SVN running for our .net code. Is it possible to intergrate SVN into Management studio?

• The Developers don't always script all their changes and then after making a upgrade to a system we left without a script or 2 sometimes so if we were able to get all these changes by getting changes from the last backup we wouldn't have these problems anymore.

We have SVN running for our .net code. Is it possible to intergrate SVN into Management studio?

Have a look at RedGate's SQLSourceControl

Gail Shaw

The Developers don't always script all their changes and then after making a upgrade to a system we left without a script or 2 sometimes so if we were able to get all these changes by getting changes from the last backup we wouldn't have these problems anymore.

That's a discipline and management problem, not a technical problem. Solve it via management (developers leaving out scripts are being careless and unprofessional), not via technology.

Gail Shaw

• Another option would be to rstore your backup on another instances and run a db compare tool. this would show differences in your current database vs the objects in the backup

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• GilaMonster

I agree that it is careless of the Developers to leave scripts out, but if I could create an application that will accomplish what I want it to do. Lots of problems can be solved and we (the company I work for) can make money selling the product.

Thanks for the source control name, will take a look at it.

Jayanth_Kurup

I'm basically going to create my own db compare tool probably and hopefully learn a lot of things about SQL in the process.

• Good luck with writing your own tool , MSSQL already has SMO which will help make your job easier.

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

I'm basically going to create my own db compare tool probably and hopefully learn a lot of things about SQL in the process.

I hope you have a few months spare. That's not a trivial app (I tried it once, gave up after a few weeks of solid work)

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply