Reading image data

• This SQL statement

SELECT     MAX(DISTINCT ProductVersion) AS New, ProductType, ProductDesc, CAST(ProductLogo AS varbinary)

FROM         eProducts

GROUP BY ProductType, ProductDesc, ProductLogo

gives me this error

Server: Msg 306, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

The text, ntext, and image data types cannot be compared or sorted, except when using IS NULL or LIKE operator.

How can I retrieve the above record? ProductLogo is an image column.

• I am making the assumption that each row that has the Version, Type, and an image.  Hence you are trying to get the latest version and then return the image for it.  This code should do the trick.

-----------------------------------------------

SELECT dt.New, p.ProductType, p.ProductDesc, CAST(p.ProductLogo AS varbinary)
    FROM eProducts p
        INNER JOIN (

SELECT MAX(DISTINCT ProductVersion) AS New, ProductType, ProductDesc

FROM   eProducts

GROUP BY ProductType, ProductDesc, ProductLogo

) dt
            ON p.ProductVersion = dt.New AND p.ProductType = dt.ProductType AND p.ProductDesc = dt.ProductDesc

Does that do the trick?

•  

Nope! am afraid not, I still got the same error... however I have not yet populated the table with the data in question... could that be the problem? If so, then what SQL can insert this data?  I presume it will include the file location for the image file

Thx

• Looks like the problem is in the "Group By" clause of then "inner join". It includes the ProductLogo, which is not in the select statment nor can it be used since it's an Image data type. So try:

SELECT dt.New, p.ProductType, p.ProductDesc, CAST(p.ProductLogo AS varbinary)
    FROM eProducts p
        INNER JOIN (

SELECT MAX(DISTINCT ProductVersion) AS New, ProductType, ProductDesc

FROM   eProducts

GROUP BY ProductType, ProductDesc

) dt
            ON p.ProductVersion = dt.New AND p.ProductType = dt.ProductType AND p.ProductDesc = dt.ProductDesc

----------------------------------------
    Pascal Dobrautz
    www.sqlassi.net

• Oops .  Cheers Pascal, I copied and pasted in a rush, doh!

• Thx let me try that...

• It worked thx Pascal

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply