Readin email using SSIS Script Task

• hi,

I'm trying to create an SSIS package that reads an email from MS Outlook 2003 (using the subject as the criteria) then save the excel file attachment of that email to a share drive.

Is this doable? Anyone knows how to do this? Pls. help.

thanks!

-poy

• for whatever reason, reading email and/or attachments was possible in SQL 2000, but deprecated for 2005 and above, i believe.

the code to read a POP3 mailbox in .NET is pretty straight forward; you could create an app/service which does it and sticks the results in SQL server, or even create a web service and have SQL pull the data from a web service.

not sure if you can do it with CLR...it might be a unsafe/permissions thing.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• thought so.

I tried using tsql thru xp_findnextmsg and xp_readmail. With this, i can get the location of the attachment and have a script copy that file and save to a share drive. I was able to use these 2 stored procedures before with no error but now i'm encountering one:

xp_findnextmsg: Procedure expects parameter @user, which was not supplied.

i don't think these 2 stored procedures requires @users parameter and i can't find any in the website that says so.

anyone knows how to resolve this?

thanks!

• quasar_phoenicis (7/22/2010)

hi,

I'm trying to create an SSIS package that reads an email from MS Outlook 2003 (using the subject as the criteria) then save the excel file attachment of that email to a share drive.

Is this doable? Anyone knows how to do this? Pls. help.

thanks!

-poy

If you can use third-party solutions, check the commercial CozyRoc Receive Mail Task. You can open MIME-encoded mail file or download directly from POP3 or IMAP email server. The task also supports decryption of S/MIME emails (in case you need that).

---
    SSIS Tasks Components Scripts Services | http://www.cozyroc.com/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply