Reaching for the Clouds

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Reaching for the Clouds

• Nice editorial, interesting topic.

I was amazed to see in one of the articles linked to that a third of people think sticking the data out in the cloud will reduce security problems. I can't understand how anyone could believe that. I'm even surprised that another third of people think it won't increase security problems.

Since it's mostly American companies offering cloud based services, our data is likely to be treated with American attitudes to data security, privacy, use of personally identifiable information, and so on. So it seems to me very unlikely that anyone in the EU will dare to use such a service for any database that includes anything that European law sees as personally identifiable information (if you've been following the news, you'll have see that another cross-pond row is brewing up about banking data, and yet another one about advance airline passenger information - and this isn't going to go away).

On the patching issue - well, when the slammer worm took off you either patched or you didn't. If you didn't your database servers were unusable if connected to ethernet - you had a BIG problem. If you did and the patch broke your application, you had a SMALL problem. The discussion of backups would be sensible if it wasn't based on a preposterous assumption: that you have not insisted that you are always in a position to do clean recovery frombackups without data loss. What, you've put your data out in th ecloud without insisting that the service provider implements suitable backup and recovery procedures, and tests them regularly, and does all the other things you would do to ensure continued availability and correctnedd of the data if you held it in house? You're a DBA, or a data-controller with responsabilities under data-protection legislation, or both and you've allowed that to happen? I don't think so.

Tom

• I would have to agree with Tom on the security issues. We just recently had the opportunity to take some of our computing to the cloud. We are glad we didn't. We did a little more checking into their security policies and found that they were wide open for anybody from any organization they hosted to see somebody else's data. Extremely alarming. Absolute lack of regard for the privacy of data held by their clients.

I'm not sold on the cloud as a location for my databases due to patching concerns (discussed in the editorial), increased complexity of troubleshooting, and the obvious lack of security.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Ummmm, Steve, Beth Israel hospital is in Boston..........:-)

• Doh! Didn't realize that. My apologies to Boston and the staff the Beth Israel.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply