Ratio, rounding, truncating and precision function

• Hi

My problem. I have a tank that contains multiple feedstock types. I have a sale from the tank of 186.436

I need to know how this sale volume is split by the feedstock types, so I use this function (a snippet of the full function):

CREATE FUNCTION fnTb_SUM_TANK_BY_FEEDSTOCK

(

@TANK_ID INT,

@UNIT_ID INT

)

AS

SELECT

FS.TANK_ID,

FS.UNIT_ID,

FS.Feedstock_Type_Code,

FS.QTY / FS.TANK_TOTAL AS FEEDSTOCK_RATIO,

FS.TANK_TOTAL

FROM FEEDSTOCK_SUMMARY AS FS

The function is used in a SP (only the relevant part is shown below):

SELECT

DATT.TANK_ID,

DATTU.UNIT_ID,

VSTBF.FEEDSTOCK_CODE,

VSTBF.FEEDSTOCK_RATIO * DATTU.VOLUME_BY_QTY AS QTY

FROM

DEX_ALLOCATE_TO_TANK AS DATT

INNER JOIN DEX_ALLOCATE_TO_TANK_UNIT AS DATTU ON DATT.DEX_ALLOCATE_TO_TANK_ID = DATTU.DEX_ALLOCATE_TO_TANK_ID

CROSS APPLY dbo.fnTb_SUM_TANK_BY_FEEDSTOCK_2(DATT.TANK_ID, DATTU.UNIT_ID) AS VSTBF

The result is

TANK_IDUNIT_IDFEEDSTOCK_CODEFEEDSTOCK_RATIO QTY

361RME 0.342959 63.9399

361SME 0.490008 91.3551

361PME 0.167036 31.1415

The SP and the function work correctly, with one problem. If you add the QTY up you get a total of 186.4366. The input volume is 186.436. The volume needs to be to 3 decimal places and the input volume must match exactly the sum of the output volume (after it has been split by the feedstock).

I have tried using various combinations of the round function to round or truncate the values as well as casting to 3 decimal places for the ratio, but i still get an inconsistent result. With some transactions the input and output volume matches and others they do not.

Any help on solving this would be appreciated

Kind regards

Justin

• Can you post the table definitions please? The data types of the columns are going to be important here.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi thanks for your response

The data types used are:

FS.TANK_ID INT

FS.UNIT_ID INT

FS.Feedstock_Type_Code VARCHAR(10)

The columns FS.QTY and FS.TANK_TOTAL are actually calculated columns from an earlier step in the function fnTb_SUM_TANK_BY_FEEDSTOCK (which I have not shown in the example). They are both the product of a sum on an uderlying column called:

QTY DECIMAL (18,3)

FS.QTY - the sum of the QTY by feedstock in the tank

FS.TANK_TOTAL - the tank total

Kind regards

Justin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply