Random attribute key cannot be found error

• I built a cube which seemed to be working fine for a while, but has recently developed a problem. When processing, I would get the error "The attribute key cannot be found". Normally, I just need to process the dimensions first, then the cube would process successfully.

Now, however, I'm getting that error while processing two the dimensions. I don't understand how this is possible, because obviously it shouldn't be looking up any keys, right?

Also, when it tells me the value that it couldn't find it is different every time, seemingly random. I have made a few small changes to the data structure, but these didn't seem to cause any problems immediately.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

At the moment I suspect there may be some meta-data inconsistencies between the dimension and DSV, so I'm planning to delete and recreate the dimensions and see if that fixes it, however obviously if someone has another answer it would be much appreciated./

Thanks for your help,

Matt

• Hi,

if you process the cube database (full process) in Management studio, using the GUI some more details about the key log errors were provided. So you should see which key is not found in the dimension. Then you could manually search for the row with this key in the relational database.

Another possibility is to check the error log (text) file which is written by analysis services. You could specify the destination of the error log in your ssas solution in the properties of the cube.

Kindest Regards,

SK

• Hi Stefan

Thanks for your reply. I have done this already - tried to process the dimensions in Visual Studio, and I get the same errors. The problem is that it's a different row giving the error every time - it seems to be random.

I don't understand how this can occur, and I'm guessing at the moment it's a bug due to changes in the meta-data between the dim and the dsv. Has anyone else come across this problem before?

Thanks again,

Matt

• I finally managed to get this problem resolved, so I figured I'd post the answer here in case anyone else has come across the same problem. It turned out the problem was due to having Thai characters in the data. Once I removed the columns containing Thai characters, my dimensions processed fine.

Now of course the problem is why it doesn't work with Thai characters, cos as far as I understand SSAS OLAP Cubes should work with unicode characters without a problem. I suspect that it may be due to collation changes somewhere along the line, but if anyone has any other suggestions or ideas I'd be very happy to hear them.

Cheers,

Matt

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply