QUOTED_IDENTIFIER and XML Problem

• I have a stored procedure that I have created to pull some XML data from an Extended Event that I have created to capture failed logins.  The procedure creates just fine but when I run the procedure, I get the following error:

Msg 22050, Level 16, State 1, Line 0
    Error formatting query, probably invalid parameters
    Msg 14661, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_send_dbmail, Line 517 [Batch Start Line 0]
    Query execution failed: Msg 1934, Level 16, State 1, Server HOSQLDBDVM01\HINSTDV01, Line 1
    SELECT failed because the following SET options have incorrect settings: 'QUOTED_IDENTIFIER'. Verify that SET options are correct for use with indexed views and/or indexes on computed columns and/or filtered indexes and/or query notifications and/or XML d
    ata type methods and/or spatial index operations.

I realize this issue has to do with the setting for the QUOTED_IDENTIFIER.  Everything I have read says that is must be ON and that must be set BEFORE the CREATE PROCEDURE statement because it is done at parse time.  I have tried everything I can think of and I can't get it to work.  If anyone can identify the issue, I would greatly appreciate the help.  Here is the code for the procedure:
    USE [DBA]
    GO

IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.objects WHERE object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].[Capture_Login_Failures]') AND type in (N'P', N'PC'))
        DROP PROCEDURE dbo.Capture_Login_Failures
    GO

SET ANSI_NULLS ON
    GO
    SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
    GO

CREATE PROC [dbo].[Capture_Login_Failures]
    AS

DECLARE @alert_msg                nvarchar(max),
            @alert_query            nvarchar(max),
            @alert_subject            nvarchar(255),
            @count                    int

CREATE TABLE #login_fail(
        [host]                varchar(2000),
                        varchar(2000),
        [app]                varchar(2000),
        [text_desc]            varchar(8000),
        [logdate]            datetime2,
        [state]                tinyint,
        [error]                int)

-- Determine if there have been any login failures in the last five minutes
    ;WITH event_data AS
    (
    SELECT data = CONVERT(XML, event_data)
      FROM sys.fn_xe_file_target_read_file(
     'C:\Failed_Logins*.xel',
     'C:\Failed_Logins*.xem',
     NULL, NULL
    )
    ),
    tabular AS
    (
    SELECT
      [host] = data.value('(event/action[@name="client_hostname"]/value)[1]','nvarchar(4000)'),
         = data.value('(event/action[@name="nt_user_name"]/value)[1]','nvarchar(4000)'),
      [app] = data.value('(event/action[@name="client_app_name"]/value)[1]','nvarchar(4000)'),
      [date/time] = data.value('(event/@timestamp)[1]','datetime2'),
      [error] = data.value('(event/data[@name="error_number"]/value)[1]','int'),
      [state] = data.value('(event/data[@name="state"]/value)[1]','tinyint'),
      [message] = data.value('(event/data[@name="message"]/value)[1]','nvarchar(250)')
    FROM event_data
    )
    SELECT @count = COUNT(*)
    FROM tabular
    WHERE error = 18456
    AND DATEADD(mi, DATEDIFF(mi, GETUTCDATE(), GETDATE()), [date/time]) > DATEADD(mi, -5, getdate())

IF @count >= 5
    BEGIN
        -- Send e-mail to SQL Admins
        SET @alert_subject = @@SERVERNAME + ' - Login Failure Alert'

SET @alert_msg = 'There have been at least five login failures in the last five minutes. '
        SET @alert_msg = @alert_msg + 'Please take a look at this server to investigate why there are so '
        SET @alert_msg = @alert_msg + 'many login failures and please take the appropriate action.'
        SET @alert_msg = @alert_msg + CHAR(13) + CHAR(13)

SET @alert_query = ';WITH event_data AS '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + '( '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + 'SELECT data = CONVERT(XML, event_data) '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + 'FROM sys.fn_xe_file_target_read_file( '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + '''C:\Failed_Logins*.xel'', '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + '''C:\Failed_Logins*.xem'', '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + 'NULL, NULL '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + ') '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + '), '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + 'tabular AS '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + '( '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + 'SELECT '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + '[host] = data.value(''(event/action[@name="client_hostname"]/value)[1]'',''nvarchar(4000)''), '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + ' = data.value(''(event/action[@name="nt_user_name"]/value)[1]'',''nvarchar(4000)''), '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + '[app] = data.value(''(event/action[@name="client_app_name"]/value)[1]'',''nvarchar(4000)''), '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + '[date/time] = data.value(''(event/@timestamp)[1]'',''datetime2''), '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + '[error] = data.value(''(event/data[@name="error_number"]/value)[1]'',''int''), '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + '[state] = data.value(''(event/data[@name="state"]/value)[1]'',''tinyint''), '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + '[message] = data.value(''(event/data[@name="message"]/value)[1]'',''nvarchar(250)'') '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + 'FROM event_data '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + ') '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + 'SELECT [host],,[app],[message],DATEADD(mi, DATEDIFF(mi, GETUTCDATE(), GETDATE()), [date/time]),[state],[error] '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + 'FROM tabular '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + 'WHERE error = 18456 '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + 'AND DATEADD(mi, DATEDIFF(mi, GETUTCDATE(), GETDATE()), [date/time]) > DATEADD(mi, -5, getdate()) '
        SET @alert_query = @alert_query + 'ORDER BY DATEADD(mi, DATEDIFF(mi, GETUTCDATE(), GETDATE()), [date/time]) DESC'

EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_send_dbmail @profile_name = 'Database Team', @recipients = 'me@me.com',
                                        @subject = @alert_subject, @body = @alert_msg, @importance = 'High',
                                        @query = @alert_query, @execute_query_database = 'DBA',
                                        @query_result_header = 0
    END

SELECT @alert_query

-- Clean up
    DROP TABLE #login_fail

DELETE dbo.login_failure_log
    WHERE log_date < DATEADD(dd, -90, getdate())

GO

----------------------------------------------------------

01010011010100010100110000100000010100110110010101110010011101100110010101110010

• i think it is the query that is passed to the send mail task...that query gets executed in a different context.
    change this:
    SET @alert_query = ';WITH event_data AS '

to this:
    SET @alert_query = ' SET ANSI_NULLS ON;
    SET ANSI_PADDING ON;
    SET ANSI_WARNINGS ON;
    SET ARITHABORT ON;
    SET CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL ON;
    SET NUMERIC_ROUNDABORT OFF;
    SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON;
    ;WITH event_data AS '

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply