questions about 3rd party backup software like arc serve

• Hi Guys,

Yes i'm aware that native backup is better and more reliable. disk to disk to tape.

However if i have the below scenario, is it able to work? Can share ur experience?

Let's say I have the below backup in placed:

1. Daily Full DB Backup Via Arcserve to Tape 8pm

- Let's say this tape corrupted due to some reason.

2. 6 Hourly transaction Log backup via Arcserve to Tape (12am,6am,12pm,6pm)

3. Daily Full DB backup to disk (via SQL maintenance Plan). --> (i believe no issue here as i don't have differential backup take by arc serve)

In arcserve (let's suppose the latest version), is there any option for (2) to work with the full backup taken by (3) for point in time recovery?

Technically I can restore the database (backup taken in 3) -- restore with no recovery option and apply the tx log.

Ny question is whether can arcserve point to the database and perform point in time recovery using the txn log backed up via arc serve?

thanks

• You'd have to ask ArcServe. The SQL side should be fine. It doesn't matter where or how the backups are taken, as long as they are transactionally consistent with through a supported API.

The log backups in (2) would have to be after the full backup in (3) for them to work. The LSNs would be greater than, or equal to, those in the full and they should restore. As to whether your ArcServer front end will do it, you'd have to test it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply