Questioning the Interviewer

• Peter Maloof (10/15/2012)

"Do you have any doubts about my candidacy that I can clear up or explain further?"

Also, some people say that if you want the job, you should explicitly ask for it.

I ask a very similar one: Am I leaving you with any questions or concerns about my ability to do the duties you want to hire me for?

I've used that to clear up final concerns, clarify answers that may have been ambiguous, and it puts there "want to hire me" as a marketing item.

I also ask: What prompted you to look for a DBA?

I want to know if I'm going to be filling the shoes of a successful DBA who has left/will leave soon, or will be taking over a disaster left behind by a "DBA", or if they've been struggling along without one and finally got the budget for it, or are looking to expand a team, or whatever the situation is. This leads nicely to discussion of current projects, expected duties, job expectations, probable stress level, and a slew of other points.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• funny the difference between DBA and "DBA"...

SQL Tips and Scripts
    SQLWorks Blog

• GSquared (10/18/2012)

I want to know if I'm going to be filling the shoes of a successful DBA who has left/will leave soon, or will be taking over a disaster left behind by a "DBA"

I have asked this question many times myself, but usually get a curt answer like "He/she moved on." and nothing else. If they won't elaborate then that is a big red flag.:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• Hi Travis,

TravisDBA (10/22/2012)

I have asked this question many times myself, but usually get a curt answer like "He/she moved on." and nothing else. If they won't elaborate then that is a big red flag.:-D

I see your point, but it's possible a stellar DBA was let go for non-technical reasons (like embezzlement).

Peter MaloofServing Data

• I never stated that the reason had to be "technical". I just wanted to know what it was. But anyway, even if it was something like that then that is a real BIG "Red Flag". Even more reason to stay away. 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• The reason they've moved on might be personal, and of no business to an applicant. For example, if they've left to support a spouse through medical treatment then it's none of your business as you don't work for the company yet.

There is no problem so great that it can not be solved by caffeine and chocolate.
  • Then if that is the case, then just say that. "He moved on for personal reasons" and leave it at that. I would immediately understand that, but just to abruptly say "he moved on" with no other explanation is a little strange in my opinion and leaves me to think that the interviewer is possibly hiding something.:-D

• TravisDBA (10/22/2012)

Then if that is the case, then just say that. "He moved on for personal reasons" and leave it at that. I would immediately understand that, but just to abruptly say "he moved on" with no other explanation is a little strange in my opinion and leaves me to think that the interviewer is possibly hiding something.:-D

Well they would be hiding something because HR matters aren't to be shared, even internally. If someone were to actually share that info, that would make them an HR violation.

If I were to share that info as part of an interview, I'd have an HR writeup on my desk before I even got back to it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I would ask about the top handful of items the hot line or on-call person fields on a typical day. If they are as evasive on that one as with the recent departure question, it would definitely be a red flag.

• Where I work, as long as it is a "generic" statement and not specific to the exact reason, HR is ok with it. I checked already.:-D

• TravisDBA (10/22/2012)

Where I work, as long as it is a "generic" statement and not specific to the exact reason, HR is ok with it. I checked already.:-D

Like, "He/she moved on"?

Peter MaloofServing Data

• 😛

• TravisDBA (10/22/2012)

GSquared (10/18/2012)

I want to know if I'm going to be filling the shoes of a successful DBA who has left/will leave soon, or will be taking over a disaster left behind by a "DBA"

I'm professionally trained at reading non-verbal communication. Body language, facial expressions, eye movement, that kind of thing. And at reading non-word components of verbal communication, like hesitations, inflection, etc. Even "He moved on", combined with all of those other things, will tell me what I need to know. The words a person uses are only about 10% of what they're communicating.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• TravisDBA (10/22/2012)

Then if that is the case, then just say that. "He moved on for personal reasons" and leave it at that. I would immediately understand that, but just to abruptly say "he moved on" with no other explanation is a little strange in my opinion and leaves me to think that the interviewer is possibly hiding something.:-D

Quite often, they're not legally allowed to say anything more.

Property of The Thread

• TravisDBA (10/22/2012)

Of course the interviewer is hiding something. (S)He is hiding confidential information. Which, as several posters have already pointed out, they are morally and legally obliged to do.

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply