question re: DBA skills for SQL 2000 vs. SQL 2005

• Hi All,

I'm looking for advice concerning training.  I'm a developer in a small IT shop and I've recently volunteered to wear the DBA hat (we don't have a full-time DBA position).  I'm comfortable with DB design, TSQL, stored procedures, etc. but I don't know much about routine maintenance, performance monitoring/tuning etc.

We're currently on SQL Server 2000, but we plan to upgrade to SQL 2005 in the mid/near future (maybe 6 mos).  I'd like to know how SQL 2000 DBA skills translate to SQL 2005.  Specifically, I have the opportunity to take a 5-day SQL Server 2000 Admin course in the next couple weeks; it looks like it will at least get me started in the areas where I'm weak.  But I'm wondering how much of it will translate to Yukon (i.e. am I wasting my money on SQL 2000 training?).  Should I study SQL 2000 to meet my short-term goals, and then upgrade my skill-set when the time comes?  Or should I start by studying SQL 2005 and just wing it with SQL 2000?

Many Thanks,

MIJ

• My 2 Cents.....

Both would work for you.  

Taking just one administration class, will leave you with minor gaps, as the majority of the concepts like backups and recovery are the same.  

2005 adds some new features like point in time backing up....very cool, but the other stuff is still very similar. 

If I had to choose one......2005, as the new features will be somthing to work for and your skills will be current in a few months when you do upgrade. 

Eric 

• Microsoft's site has bunch of webcast for sql 2005. you might want to check those out.

• Hi, I am the dba for a large site, clustered SQL etc, etc. We don't intend moving to SQL 2005 until may next year or later. I get a little panicky looking at all the splurb on 2005 and feel I am missing out. For now I am concentrating still in SQL2K and get the basic fundamentals crystal clear. If I were in your position however with 2005 and coming in quicker, I certainly take a 2005 course and drive away from there. Rgds Derek.

• If you're going to support production on SQL Server 2000 for as long as a time period as you indicate (up to 6 months before you upgrade), take the SQL Server 2000 admin class. It will help greatly if you aren't familiar with the topics. Most of the knowledge is transferrable to SQL Server 2005.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thanks, everyone, for the advice.

I'll admit I was leaning towards the SQL 2000 class because of its immediate utility and structure (the same material for SQL 2005 seemed to be spread out over 3-4 different courses), but I was worried about wasting time and money.  What I seem to reading here (and elsewhere) though, is that the core skills will transfer, so that's reassuring.

Thanks again,

MIJ

• IIRC, there are few topics in 2072A (the MS 5-day SQL Server admin class available at most training centers) that don't make the trip to SQL Server 2005.  There are some free and low-price e-learning classes on the Microsoft Learning site that bridge the gap nicely.  (I taught 2072A last September)

If you've got six months before the upgrade, then work like heck to become as proficient on SQL 2000 as possible with the time you have.  The DBA transition from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005 is more about learning about new SQL 2005 things than replacing/forgetting SQL 2000 things. 

And, in six months, the 3-day SQL 2000 DBA to SQL 2005 DBA Skills Upgrade class (2733) may be fixed to the point of being useful.

-Eddie

Eddie Wuerch
    MCM: SQL

• I was just on the verge of sending a request to my manager about signing up for a local offering of M2733 "Updating your DBA Skills to SQL Server 2005"...

What do you mean "fixed to the point of being useful"?  Is it really that bad???

I've been working on SQL2000 for 6 years and have done most of the "exploratory" work in my company with SQL 2005, including deploying it on a test server, setting up mirroring, replication, and actually taking a stab at re-writing several of our DTS packages in Integration Services.  So, if I'm able to do all that with only a few glances at Books Online, would a class such as M2733 be a waste of my time?

Thanks for any honest opinions... especially if anyone out there has taken this course.

• Chad, if you have done all that in 2005 already I can't imagine that 2000 to 2005 class will be worth the time and money.  I haven't taken the course so that is only guess but I'd be really surprised if you didn't end up twiddling your thumbs most of the time wondering what you were thinking when you signed up for the class.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply