Question on seting a default on a table column

• Hi,

it is a long story, but I have a process that enters dates incorrectly in a table, that I can not change.  It enters the dates with the slashes going the wrong way. that is 04/25/2019 is shown incorrectly as 04\25\2019.

So I would like to put this as a check in the column REPLACE(status_date,'\','/'), not sure is that a default or a constraint. but either way not sure how to do that, and have not been able to find exactly how to do this online.

any ideas would be really appreciated.

Thank you

• Neither defaults nor constraints will help here.

But an INSTEAD OF INSERT trigger could do the work. Have a look here for an example/walkthrough.

Incidentally, what is the datatype of the target column? I'm hoping it's not varchar() ... If it is, I will have a different suggestion.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• yes, it is a varchar(), and yes I know it should be a Date but I do not think I will be able to change it.

And I could use a trigger but would really rather sue a constraint if that is possible.

Would you know how to do that?

Thnak you

• Would you know how to do that?

No I don't. Constraints and checks are there to prevent bad things happening. They do not change data.

Have you considered leaving the column as it stands and adding a new computed date column which does the transformation work for you & gives you a column of the proper type as a bonus?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Typically you'd use an AFTER trigger to correct the data.  If you wanted to, you could also have the trigger verify whether the value is a valid date or not.

SET ANSI_NULLS ON;
    SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON;
    GO
    CREATE TRIGGER table_name__TR_correct_status_date
    ON dbo.table_name
    AFTER INSERT, UPDATE
    AS
    SET NOCOUNT ON
    IF TRIGGER_NESTLEVEL(@@PROCID, 'AFTER' , 'DML') = 1
    BEGIN
    UPDATE tn
    SET status_date = REPLACE(i.status_date, '\', '/')
    FROM inserted i
    INNER JOIN dbo.table_name tn ON tn.$IDENTITY = i.$IDENTITY /*or tn.<key_col> = i.<key_col>*/
    WHERE UPDATE(status_date) AND i.status_date LIKE '\'
    END /*IF*/
    /*end of trigger*/
    GO

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• Okay, that does look good.

Thanks

• I like Scott's approach but honestly, I'd avoid the LIKE. If this changes, it would likely be quicker to just update all rows inserted.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I like Sue's approach but honestly, I'd avoid the LIKE. If this changes, it would likely be quicker to just update all rows inserted.

Sue?

• Oops, I left out one important line, to prevent run-away trigger recursion.  In this case the UPDATE itself would prevent recursion, but it's safer to always check, in case other UPDATE(s) are added later.   Therefore, I added this into the original code:

IF TRIGGER_NESTLEVEL(@@PROCID, 'AFTER' , 'DML') = 1

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• I'm dating myself here, but:

Bill or George! Anything but Sue!

• Thanks again for everyone's help here

• ScottPletcher wrote:

I'm dating myself here, but:

Bill or George! Anything but Sue!

I just noticed this in one of the OP's earlier posts – maybe it's what triggered Steve

And I could use a trigger but would really rather sue a constraint if that is possible.

• sorry, I meant use

• I'm a moron. Was responding to Sue H in another thread and that was on my mind when I read Scott's post. I try to avoid triggers, but if users are entering this data and you have to accept it, the trigger makes sense for a quick REPLACE() and cleanup.

• Rather than a trigger, you could add a calculated column to handle the replace and convert the result to an actual date at the same time, e.g.

Drop Table If Exists #Temp
    Create Table #Temp
    (
    UserEnteredDate VarChar(10) Not Null,
    ActualDate As Try_Convert(Date, Replace(UserEnteredDate, '\', '/'), 103) Persisted
    )

Insert into #temp(UserEnteredDate)
    values ('12/02/2019'),('12\02\2019'),('bob')

Select * from #temp

Replace the Try_Convert with a Convert if you want entering an invalid string to fail (I'm guessing not based on currently allowing the wrong type of slashes)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply