Question on creating SSIS pacakages with Variables

• We are creating a DW. I am the DBA and I have never managed a DW. I will have to create numerous SSIS packages and I have several questions regarding them. I have had some training on them, including the Microsoft Certified training through a local trainer. My first issue that I am having I am trying to develop a template which I can use for all my packages. I know I need to have error handling and logging, but my first step is creating a portable SSIS Package which works in my test environment. I would like to save my SSIS packages as a Files system and use XML files to store variable values so I can just move my packages from test to production without changing server names. The test and production environments with have the same databases, tables and such and my hope is that my connections will be correctly named in the XML files so I just move my package from test to production

The first is I have 2 test environments which I am using to pretend on deploying SSIS packges. I have created a simple package with 1 data flow task which is simply an ELE DB Source and a OLE Destination. I have 2 OLE DB connections in the Connection Managers tab, a Source and a Destination. I have created 2 variables; vServerInput and vServerOutput and I have tied them to each respective connection using the Expression Builder, tying each variable to the “Server” property.

I have right clicked on the Control Flow pane, selecting the “package Configurations, creating to XML files, one for each variable, which creates an XML file for me. I’ve built the package and deployed it to my other test server but it still loads data toTest Server1, even after I have altered the XML Files on TestServer2.

What am I missing?

Scott

• At first glance, you didn't miss anything.

Enable logging and try to find out if there are any configuration messages.

If you run the package in BIDS, do you have any warnings/erros on the configuration?

Is it possible to post the contents of one of those XML files?

(replace actual values with dummy values if necessary)

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• I usually have 1 XML Config file for each package which includes all variables that I might need to edit... try doing that and avoid having multiple configurations per SSIS package.

• Check whether the Package configuration is enabled or not.

Otherwise recreate the config try once again.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply