question on blocking...

• I was trying to analyze a couple blocked process reports and it found 2 things that I did not expect.

One was that a process can block itself causing a blocked process report to be generated...I found this surprising.

The other was that a command with only a shared lock can block another command with a shared lock. I thought these locks were "compatible". In this case they were both select statements on the same tables -- just a little different where criteria.

Does anyone have more insight on either of these for me ... more so the second one. If anyone has helpful hints on reading blocked process reports in general that would also be appreicated...the more I look at them the more I feel I understand them. 🙂

Thank you in advance!

Happy Friday! 🙂

• What version and SP do you use? In SQL 2000/SP4, we can see self-blocks quite ofen. It is called self-latch. It is fixed with new hotfixes.

• SQL ORACLE (8/19/2008)

What version and SP do you use? In SQL 2000/SP4, we can see self-blocks quite ofen. It is called self-latch. It is fixed with new hotfixes.

We have SQL Server 2005 SP 2 (build 3790). Does this version have the self-latch issues as well?

• This is what I am not sure. My comment is only a kink of informal message.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply