Question on Alwayson and sql agent job

• Hi All,

We are in process of implementing AG in SQL 2014. I am facing issues while checking jobs.

I have created the jobs on both nodes. However, I want the jobs to be executed only on primary.

For this, I started introducing a new step inside the sql agent job which will be my 1st step which checks whether it is Primary or not.

If not primary, I want the job to quit with Success else I want to proceed to next step as it is Primary.

But i wasn't able to adjust the Advanced option of 1st step where i am checking whether isPrimary or not. Can we adjust the advanced options

of setting @on_success_step_id programmatically in 1st step itself... or Is there a better way to do this.

If anyone share that piece of logic would be a great help.

Thanks in Advance.

• if its not the primary just use sp_stop_job on the job name\id

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks for the quick reply Sir. Thing is that I would like to implement such a logic, which doesn't even let the job to start if it is not primary... Anyway to do that?

• Hi Perry,

Your advise is working like a charm. Thank you Sir 🙂

• youre welcome

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Sir, I have a small issue with this actually. when I look at job history it shows me a stopped in red marks and it doesn't look good if someone view's history of that job. Also it might be picked up by SCOM Alerts which I don't want. Any other way? I mean as of now, the code works perfectly fine but is there any other options we can look at?

• the only other option I can think of immediately is a parent job which runs and checks whether the AO replica is primary or not. If primary it calls the child job if not it doesn't 😉

• That's a good option to consider as well. Thank you sir for the continuous help.

• What we do in the first step is raise an error to force the step to fail

Test for Secondary for the AG

If @Secondary = 1

BEGIN

RAISERROR(''Running on Secondary Replica.'', 11, 1)

END

Then set the Advanced option for step 1 to: On Failure - Quite the job Reporting Success

This means the Job fails gracefully and reports as succeeding, no problem for SCOM or most other alerts that are triggered by failures at the Job level.

Cheers

Leo

No solution in IT is so complex that you can't find a client who wants a more complex solution.

Leo
    Nothing in life is ever so complicated that with a little work it can't be made more complicated.

• Leo,

Thank you for your input. Could you please share the create script for any test job which has includes above functionality so that I can repro at my end?

-Sam

• firstly, this is a shame for microsoft. they have new feature but their own product does not support it 100%.

anyway, at the beginning i tried the same way mentioned above but it has side effects. then i came up with a different idea. below is a sp which runs every 1 min and changes the enabled/disabled marks of the jobs according the their description text. i hope it helps somebody out.

USE [msdb]

GO

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[spChangeJobsAG] as

begin

declare @cjobname varchar(max),@cdescription varchar(max),@cstatus int

declare cur cursor for

SELECT name,description,enabled FROM msdb.dbo.sysjobs

open cur

fetch next from cur into @cjobname,@cdescription,@cstatus

while @@FETCH_STATUS=0

begin

if master.dbo.svf_AgReplicaState('AG_NAME')=1

begin

if CHARINDEX('PRIMARY_ONLY',@cdescription)<>0 EXEC dbo.sp_update_job @job_name = @cjobname,@enabled = 1 ;

if CHARINDEX('SECONDARY_ONLY',@cdescription)<>0 EXEC dbo.sp_update_job @job_name = @cjobname,@enabled = 0 ;

end else

begin

if CHARINDEX('PRIMARY_ONLY',@cdescription)<>0 EXEC dbo.sp_update_job @job_name = @cjobname,@enabled = 0 ;

if CHARINDEX('SECONDARY_ONLY',@cdescription)<>0 EXEC dbo.sp_update_job @job_name = @cjobname,@enabled = 1 ;

end

if CHARINDEX('DISABLED',@cdescription)<>0 EXEC dbo.sp_update_job @job_name = @cjobname,@enabled = 0 ;

if CHARINDEX('ENABLED',@cdescription)<>0 EXEC dbo.sp_update_job @job_name = @cjobname,@enabled = 1 ;

fetch next from cur into @cjobname,@cdescription,@cstatus

end

close cur

deallocate cur

end

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply