Question -- Linked Server & Indexing Service

• Does anyone know how to configure linked server in SQL server 2000 to point to a network machine's indexing service. When I set up the indexing service catalog locally on the SQL server machine, everything works fine. However, when the same catalog is set up on a network machine, it doesn't seem to be able to link to the other machine's indexing service. It keeps giving me an error "There is no catalog" while I am sure the indexing service on the other machine is set up and running properly. Have I set anything wrong or missed some tricks?

My configurations are as following:

1. Linked Server: Server2  (the other machine name and the 2 machines are in the same domain)

2. Data source Provider name: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Indexing Service

3. Product name: Test Index Server  (I assume this field could be anything... ?!)

4. Data sources: CustomCatalog  (this is the Catalog name I created on the other machine)

5. Location: [blank]  (I assume this is an optional field)

• When querying index server on a physically different server you need to use slightly different SQL to tell SQL server where the catalog resides, you also need to use 2 dots after the catalog name see example code.

SELECT fileName FROM OpenQuery(CatalogName, 'select FileName from ServerName.CatalogName..SCOPE() WHERE Contains(''search string'') > 0'))

The linked server itself is created in the normal way, you just need to change how you access it.

Andy

• Many Thanks...

This is the trick I missed.

Now I have to solve the security issue but I think I can handle it now.

Thanks again

• What is your security issue, as Index server only returns results that the logged in user has permission to see?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply