Question: Is there a way to capture when a Database Auto-grows

• Hi there,

Is there a way to capture/log when the database performs an auto grow command in SQL Server 2000 (and 2005/2008). I would like to be able to track the rate at which these occur so I can size appropriately.

I mean I would love to add several GB to my databases so they don't need to auto grow, but that is not pratical.

Thanks, Brian

• That's actually the way to go.

Log the db size regularly, then project the db size 1-2 years down the road and resize accordingly. Constant auto-grow has nasty effects on performance (not to mention if it happens during a query, it might make it time out).

• Yeah, I know that your method is ideal.

Unfortunately we do full restores of over 100 database from 8 servers to 1 server for reporting and they get upset when I ask for multiple terabytes of disk space to support the system.

We also have issues with our disks right now and I am trying to see if there is a correlation between auto-grows and when we have issues. I just haven't found a counter or alert that logs when the auto grow happens.

Brian

• Start a trace with only the grow (and shrink) events.

You can setup a job to run start a serverside trace to run for 24 hours, and run that job daily.

• Thanks, I'll try it

• I would also check your default trace that is running. Most default traces automatically capture auto grow events.

• In 2005 if you have default trace running in background run the below mentioned code with the log file location as per your system:

SELECT

trc_evnt.name

,dflt_trc.DatabaseName

,dflt_trc.ApplicationName

,dflt_trc.TextData

,dflt_trc.FileName

,dflt_trc.LoginName

,dflt_trc.StartTime

FROM fn_trace_gettable('F:\SQL2005\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\log_313.trc', NULL) AS dflt_trc

INNER JOIN sys.trace_events AS trc_evnt

ON dflt_trc.EventClass = trc_evnt.trace_event_id

WHERE trc_evnt.name like '%Auto Grow%'

ORDER BY dflt_trc.StartTime DESC

MJ

• Thanks to all.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply