Question about transactional replication to different DBs

• Hi there,

We have a couple of transactional replications that behave like this:

Take 1 table from a database and replicates them to another common database on another server.

There are a couple of these taking tables from different dbs and replicating them to a common database on another server using transactional replication.

Replication broke because of a schema change on one of the source tables.

Our servers are geographically distributed, and the size of the database is over 50GB, so reinitilzing using the default method is not going to work.

What I have done in the past is to backup the source db, zip it, and get it to the destination server, restore the backup and tell replication to pick up from the backup.

The problem is that in this case the data is not coming from one source.. so is it possible to do this sort of thing?

What would you suggest to get our replication back up and running? Do I have no other option but to reinitilize and wait for the data to go across our (very slow) pipe to the destination server? Meaning days of downtime?

Many thanks for any advice you can give me.

• You have to reinitialize the subscription, which you can do from backup, but that doesn't mean that you need to move the whole db. You just need to move the table(s) in the publication/subscription.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply